• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steiner Commander 7x50 (New) (1 Viewer)

How about this? Does anyone know?
I had the 8x30, military bino and the optics were absolutely superb. They outperformed my BN Leicas, but of course had I.F. and a reticle, which did annoy me after a while..... optics top notch on the higher level Steiners though.

I had the 8x30, military bino and the optics were absolutely superb. They outperformed my BN Leicas, but of course had I.F. and a reticle, which did annoy me after a while..... optics top notch on the higher level Steiners though.
Yes , just Porro binoculars. I used to have the Nighthunter 8x56 (2016). It's really good! So, I want to know how this is.

As someone posted, the individual lens focusing, reticle and compass probably don't particularly suit nature and wildlife users here on BF. Might find reviews on specific binocular od marine websites though.

As someone posted, the individual lens focusing, reticle and compass probably don't particularly suit nature and wildlife users here on BF. Might find reviews on specific binocular od marine websites though.
Very correct reminder, maybe it is more suitable for view.

Last edited:
I.F is not necesarily a problem... and can be an advantage.
If you wish to just view something, for example, a sea horizon, an animal den, something generally 30m away or more, then I.F. is fine.
Not great for tracking close birds etc, but useful for distance stuff.
When I had my 8x30 Steiners, it was more the fact I had my Leica 8x32's aswell, and the reticle, that made me move them on. I also wanted something significantly smaller.... (Ultravid 8x20's)
But the I.F. was less of an issue to me than I thought it would be.
I also found that just for the odd occasion, if something moved nearby, you can just close one eye, and briefly use it as a monocular, making the focussing quite quick as an emergency measure.
I have also been looking at the Fujinon 7x50 as a possible low light binocular, not having been completely put off by I.F.
I.F binoculars also have a huge depth of focus..... a massive advantage in CERTAIN situations.

Not really (has been on the market for 8 years).
I mean this one.

I.F is not necesarily a problem... and can be an advantage.
If you wish to just view something, for example, a sea horizon, an animal den, something generally 30m away or more, then I.F. is fine.
Not great for tracking close birds etc, but useful for distance stuff.
When I had my 8x30 Steiners, it was more the fact I had my Leica 8x32's aswell, and the reticle, that made me move them on. I also wanted something significantly smaller.... (Ultravid 8x20's)
But the I.F. was less of an issue to me than I thought it would be.
I also found that just for the odd occasion, if something moved nearby, you can just close one eye, and briefly use it as a monocular, making the focussing quite quick as an emergency measure.
I have also been looking at the Fujinon 7x50 as a possible low light binocular, not having been completely put off by I.F.
I.F binoculars also have a huge depth of focus..... a massive advantage in CERTAIN situations.
You're right. I always use it to watch birds or trees, far from the mountain, not in the mountain.

I mean this one.
Thank you.
I see, new version 2023 with slightly downgraded specs (FOV) and increased price. Not sure I would buy that one.

with slightly downgraded specs (FOV)
The specs for the FOV of new model are: 459 ft @ 1,000 yds. Better than 438 ft @ 1,000 yds (the old one).
An error?

Not clear if the new model has the "memory diopter" feature.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back