• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sterna hirundo or not?? (2 Viewers)

I think Whiskered looks a good call Rob. The old 'dangers of identifying a bird from one picture' line might be worth trotting out here!

whiskered?

Hi Rob,

It was in Cañada de los pajaros (recovery center) in a (pretty large) cage. It didn't fly at all 9couldn't?), it didn't eat, it didn't move, it was grooming itself a bit, he/she was the only one of this kind in the cage, so not much to go on.
But when I look at the image I attached just now, I say: "Yes, bill colour's right, bill shape and length might be right, leg colour's right. But I don't know much about seabirds.

André

Attachments

• whiskered-tern.jpg
    whiskered-tern.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 683
Whiskered Tern really seems to be the best fit , allthough the bill seems to be unusually dark and the bird very white.
(I did only think in terms of Sterna terns before, completely forgot whiskered tern)

I guess it's in winter plumage (not sure if it's an adult or immature), so that would explain the dark bill, dull legs and pale upperparts.

Shouldn´t be there less black in the cap then?
have only seen the species in summer plumage , but would expect a more reduced cap in winter plumage.
on the other hand, to m yimpression the bird does not look very healthy at all so the moult pattern may be changed...

Trying to find decent illustrations. The Whiskered in the Korean field guide is a pretty good match, including your primary pattern, Birdspotter. Harrison says White-winged Black in winter plumage closely resembles Whiskered, and it has more black on the crown, but then it has that earspot too...

Adult, but obviously unwell "Chlidonias hybridus" for me - beware photographs indeed! The latest photo (with light behind and possibly without flash?) seems to clinch it.

If it is "hybridus" would that give half a point to those who suspected it might be a "hybrid" ?

Last edited:
After comparing the last uploaded image with this one there seems no further need to comment.

Attachments

• Chlidonias hybridus 388.jpg
    Chlidonias hybridus 388.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 50
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back