• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stonechat - Cornwall (this weekend) (1 Viewer)

AFeather

A friend sent me this photo.

They think it was close to the size of a Magpie.

There could be a colour ring on it, but the photo is not good.

It looks like a stonechat to me?

Attachments

• unknown.jpeg
    unknown.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 160
Is this the only image you have? It would be much (much) better if your friend could supply the actual photo rather than a photo of a photo on a monitor.

Not a Stonechat, that's for sure - especially if it was 'close to the size of a Magpie'! There is no indication as to where it was taken, which should appear in the thread title.

RB

Is this the only image you have? It would be much (much) better if your friend could supply the actual photo rather than a photo of a photo on a monitor.
I agree, I did ask and unfortunately this is all I have to go off.

Personally I don't believe its as large as suggested, given the quality it could be one of many (e.g. chat or finch).

I wonder if its an escapee, if so, I have no experience

If it were just the back half I would hazard female Bullfinch - front half not so much, but there could be strange light/shadow things going on
Edit: Actually imm Bullfinch is not a bad fit

If it were just the back half I would hazard female Bullfinch - front half not so much, but there could be strange light/shadow things going on
Edit: Actually imm Bullfinch is not a bad fit
I agree,

The bill seems a bit small but I think I can see the wing bar of a bullfinch

Wow, what a picture for quiz-modus. I must admit, my first reaction was: its a Pied Wagtail, isnt it? But then I read, that its Magpie-sized, but I still struggle to see the other mentioned birds with confidence here.

I also hope for the original picture and more of them, we may be surprised!

After a second look in quiz-modus, I see some yellow on the belly and remember pictures of ab·er·rant coloured Great Tits with extensive white faces. They remind me of this bird now.
Still hoping for the original pictures, but thanks to Jon and Ken from me!

I'm keeping my pretend money on immature Bullfinch - it's one "size" up from sparrow-sized LBJs and I think that what looks like a longer bill is actually the end of a protruding twig behind the bird, and the darker part of the head is a shadow.

Sounds like an interpretation of the photo that I'd not considered. Which end of the bird-like blob do you think the head is at?
LOL it's not quite as bad as that. You can (I think) see a lighter outline of the shorter finch-like bill over the protrusion. I'm beginning to think the part of the apparently long tail is also a twig

So you think there is a twig sticking out behind the far left-hand end of the bird?
I do - (well far right-hand for the tail) - originally thought it was a long tail partially concealed by a piece of vegetation but now I think it is shorter. At the left hand end I was wondering how there could be a disembodied twig behind the bill but I now think it is joined to the bush somewhere round the bird's legs.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back