• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange duck ! (1 Viewer)

Fabricius

France
Hello

I am new on this forum.
I saw this duck nearby a small lake around Aix en Provence, South of France.
I suppose it's an hybrid, but from which parents ?

Thanks for your help!

DSC_2394.JPG

DSC_2386.JPG
DSC_2393.JPG

The solid brown back looks wrong to me for any hybrid of wild ducks. It is an odd looking thing, but I think it is a domestic duck, perhaps a hybrid of different varieties.

I think it is a domestic duck
Fair bet - tho the odd-shaped (thin) bill might suggest another species' genes. Or not.
perhaps a hybrid of different varieties [of domestic duck]
A cross - hybrid=progeny of 2+ species (not varieties).
And a cross between different varieties is just... another variety.

Last edited:
There are slight Baikal teal vibes about this bird. Often a sign of some hybrid history. Against that the white breast is a good domestic duck pointer.
Weird thing all in.

The tuft at the back of the head looks a bit Merganser like. Otherwise, the picture below is similar.

Attachments

• brown&white duck.JPG
    brown&white duck.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 20
A cross - hybrid=progeny of 2+ species (not varieties).
And a cross between different varieties is just... another variety.
From Wikipedia: In biology, a hybrid is the offspring resulting from combining the qualities of two organisms of different breeds, varieties, species or genera through sexual reproduction.

You can find similar definitions in many sources.

Thank you everyone for your inputs.
There are no farm around this lake, but the bird could have escaped and flown from miles away maybe..

I first thought it looked a bit like a french "sarcelle d'hiver" (Eurasian teal, Annas crecca), specially with the tuft at the back of the head and because of some green colors/reflections on the head, but the color of the body and the breast show other origins.

I understand that this duck has probably domestic origins.

For info, there are a lot of Eurasian teal , Common pochards and mallards on this lake...

What do you mean by O.P's bird ?

I agree this one is weird and also probably has at least some domestic influence. I suspect it must be a hybrid and wondered about pintail influence (rear end shape etc)

I'm struggling to tell size from this photo, but to me the anatomical proportions look way more Eurasian Teal than Mallard. The head shape, size and position of the eye, as well as the bill all scream Teal to me, not forgetting the fact that male Teal often have a tuft at the back of the neck, which this individual also possesses. The plumage, however, for sure implies that a Domestic Mallard played a part in this birds creation. My guess would be a Domestic Mallard fathered a child to a female Eurasian Teal.

A very interesting bird! I hope Joern Lehmus can weigh in, but my thoughts:

- Its plumage is very similar to the "bibbed" type of domestic Mallard, if anything between a typical male and female of that type. It's hard to believe that that isn't one of its parents - unless the same mutation that causes that colour pattern could spontaneously occur in another species???

- I don't think it can be entirely domestic Mallard, despite how variable they are - "jizz" and proportions just look wrong, too "small" and delicate looking, particularly the thin bill, and that "tuft" at the back of the head (which combined in the second pic make it almost look like a Hooded Merganser, though I'm not seriously suggesting that species is involved!)

- The "tuft" makes me wonder about Tufted Duck parentage, but I've never personally seen a Mallard x Tufted hybrid, and the only photos I have seen of one are these, which don't look structurally much like this bird: Mallard x Tufted Duck (despite how commonly the species occur together, and how frequently both hybridise with closer relatives, they don't seem very interested in each other!)

- There is a vague resemblance to Eurasian Teal, so I'm leaning towards domestic ("bibbed" type) Mallard x Teal as others have suggested. Though photos of that hybrid don't seem to show such a thin bill either: Mallard x Eurasian Teal

Fabricius, what was your impression of the size of this bird? Were there other ducks(/coots/gulls/etc) around for comparison?

It is what they call "sarcelle a bavette" in France

a "domestic" hybrid from France involving Eurasian Teal, call ducks (domestic dwarf variant of mallard, can have several different colors ), yellowbilled/speckled teal (Anas flavirostris) and perhaps also Greenwinged Teal.
As far as I know they were used as live decoys for duck hunting like call ducks, but some people seem to breed them also for fun.

Wow, never heard of those before! There doesn't seem to be much info about them in English.

Are they a "stabilised" breed, i.e. fertile and can be bred between themselves preserving the same phenotype?

Interestingly the first 3 photos you link to look (to me) more similar to Eurasian/Green-winged Teal, domestic Mallard, and Yellow-billed/Sharp-winged Teal respectively.

A very interesting bird! I hope Joern Lehmus can weigh in, but my thoughts:

- Its plumage is very similar to the "bibbed" type of domestic Mallard, if anything between a typical male and female of that type. It's hard to believe that that isn't one of its parents - unless the same mutation that causes that colour pattern could spontaneously occur in another species???

- I don't think it can be entirely domestic Mallard, despite how variable they are - "jizz" and proportions just look wrong, too "small" and delicate looking, particularly the thin bill, and that "tuft" at the back of the head (which combined in the second pic make it almost look like a Hooded Merganser, though I'm not seriously suggesting that species is involved!)

- The "tuft" makes me wonder about Tufted Duck parentage, but I've never personally seen a Mallard x Tufted hybrid, and the only photos I have seen of one are these, which don't look structurally much like this bird: Mallard x Tufted Duck (despite how commonly the species occur together, and how frequently both hybridise with closer relatives, they don't seem very interested in each other!)

- There is a vague resemblance to Eurasian Teal, so I'm leaning towards domestic ("bibbed" type) Mallard x Teal as others have suggested. Though photos of that hybrid don't seem to show such a thin bill either: Mallard x Eurasian Teal

Fabricius, what was your impression of the size of this bird? Were there other ducks(/coots/gulls/etc) around for comparison?

Thanks for your reply, and very sorry for my very late reply..
It was quite a small duck (I would say something between a mallard and an eurasian teal)
I thought a Anas and an Aytha could not "give birth" to a viable duck, but by reading several replies, it seems I was wrong..

It is what they call "sarcelle a bavette" in France

a "domestic" hybrid from France involving Eurasian Teal, call ducks (domestic dwarf variant of mallard, can have several different colors ), yellowbilled/speckled teal (Anas flavirostris) and perhaps also Greenwinged Teal.
As far as I know they were used as live decoys for duck hunting like call ducks, but some people seem to breed them also for fun.

Thank you for your post ! I never hear about this "sarcelle à bavette", but it is very very similar to the one I have photographed..

I could not get a reply from any of my "french bird contacts", so it seems you know local ducks better than they do ;)

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back