• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with ID please - Ferruginous Duck / Female Tufted Duck (2 Viewers)

Nuthatcher_24

England
Hi, this is one of the first photos I ever took so excuse the quality! My app says it’s a pair of Ferruginous Ducks however RSPB are telling me that around 10 are in the UK every year? I’ve read they can often be confused with a Female TuftedView attachment IMG_0342.JPG Duck? Any help would be appreciated as I’m very new to this hobby! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0342.JPG
    8.7 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0343.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 39
Welcome to Birdforum ( and to birding of course!). If as you say you are a beginner I wouldn’t start with an App but a good Field Guide like the Collins (other good ones for just the UK are available as the Collins covers all of Europe, Middle East and N Africa). In any decent Field Guide it would show the key differences between the Tufted and Ferruginous Duck which are clearly visible in your photos).
Good birding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back