• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange looking mallard - Sweden today (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

First picture looks like a normal mallard to me. second picture, a bird in the same group of seven mallards. This bird looks very strange to me. Crossbreed? Anyone who can tell which bird is it crossbreeding with?

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 601.jpg
    601.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 602.jpg
    602.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 20
I came to this thread before, and got a strange feeling about the second bird. And this hasnt gone:
Some of the few Muscovy x Mallard hybrides, I have seen live or on pictures showed rusty-brown feathers (or dark, blackish ones with paler rusty edges) on the back and/or on belly and flanks. After I realized this, I looked (not very intensive) for pure Mallards with that colour.
Mallards with a similar colouration are rare, but quite regular, but Mallards with this exact colouration are very rare.
So this hypothesis came into my mind: this exact colouration is a result of Muscovy Duck ancestry?

This bird does shows this colouration, but appart from this, I cant detect any other signs of Muscovy influence, just a slightly fuller, more pointed, wedge-shaped tail than an 100% - ID-book Malard (if you look hard enough, but sure within variation for a pure Mallard), that could be explained by Muscovy influence, but this is surely wishfull thinking.

Conclusion? I hope for others to jump in, and write more about this bird. Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back