• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Subspecies groups and future splits (1 Viewer)

Do you know if anyone has looked into Indian Cuckoo? The vocalisations are very different between resident Sundaic birds (concretus) and northern migrants (micropterus).
Maybe also Common Cuckoo? The song of bakeri sounds a bit different to me, but I'm not sure how reliable this is.
The status of Indian Cuckoo in the Philippines needs clarification. It's currently treated as a winter visitor (micropterus) but that is certainly incorrect as birds are present year-round, and have a very distinct three note song).

Podargidae
Sunda Frogmouth

Sumatran Frogmouth - Batrachostomus (cornutus) cornutus
Bornean Frogmouth - Batrachostomus (cornutus) adspersus
The common names Sumatran Frogmouth and Bornean Frogmouth are already in widespread use following the split of Short-tailed Frogmouth several years ago.

I have a feeling there's still a lot of work required on the Blyth's/Sunda/Javan/Palawan complex!

The status of Indian Cuckoo in the Philippines needs clarification. It's currently treated as a winter visitor (micropterus) but that is certainly incorrect as birds are present year-round, and have a very distinct three note song).
It is treated in the Lynx guide as resident in Mindoro, the East Visayas and Mindanao in the Philippines. But there are no known morphological differences needed to split it. There are also no breeding records, but then cuckoo host species in the country in general remain very poorly documented.

Palawan Frogmouth
Palawan Frogmouth - Batrachostomus (chaseni) pygmaeus
Calamanian Frogmouth - Batrachostomus (chaseni) chaseni
pygmaeus was described by Alviola from Busuanga in the Calamianes/Calamian islands, so I think that would be the Calamian Frogmouth. However, I don't know of any authorities that recognise this taxon. If anyone has any information to suggest it is valid I would be interested to hear.

It is treated in the Lynx guide as resident in Mindoro, the East Visayas and Mindanao in the Philippines. But there are no known morphological differences needed to split it. There are also no breeding records, but then cuckoo host species in the country in general remain very poorly documented.
Are morphological differences required with cuckoos? Surely vocal differences are far more significant? Even across it's huge range, including the resident populations in the Sundas, the song is recognisably "one more bottle".

Does the lack of breeding records really factor into this equation, unless there's an inference that it might not be resident in the Philippines?

pygmaeus was described by Alviola from Busuanga in the Calamianes/Calamian islands, so I think that would be the Calamian Frogmouth. However, I don't know of any authorities that recognise this taxon. If anyone has any information to suggest it is valid I would be interested to hear.
This might also be a suggestion of a potential new form not having a common name that I could find, so I tried to pick one that I thought worked best. I looked up this stuff a month ago, so my memory is rusty on this is that sort of suggestion. I can look later

Short update. Sandgrouse (and Mesites, but I am not aware of any "subspecies" groups for mesites, so really just sandgrouse)

Pin-tailed Sandgrouse
Iberian Sandgrouse - Pterocles [alchata] alchata
Pin-tailed Sandgrouse - Pterocles [alchata] caudacutus
Hello, very interesting what would be the basis of this Split ?

A lot of these draw from the groups listed in the most recent Clements checklist or Handbook of Birds of the World. If there is research supporting the split, it will be listed in the excel file on dropbox I keep linking to. If I miss a paper or reference, please let me know.

Apodidae part 1 (mostly early diverging New World Taxa). Some of these didn't have easily findable common names, so if there are better ones let me know, or if there are potential splits I missed (or typos) let me know.

Black Swift
Caribbean Black Swift - Cypseloides (niger) niger
Northern Black Swift - Cypseloides (niger) borealis
Costa Rican Black Swift - Cypseloides (niger) costaricensis

Mottled Swift
Western Mottled Spinetail - Telacanthura (ussheri) ussheri
Sharpe's Mottled Spinetail - Telacanthura (ussheri) sharpei
Benguela Mottled Spinetail - Telacanthura (ussheri) benguellensis
Eastern Mottled Spinetail - Telacanthura (ussheri) stictilaema

Gray-rumped Swift
Gray-rumped Swift - Acanthylis (cinereiventris) cinereiventris
Nicaraguan Swift - Acanthylis (cinereiventris) phaeopygos
Ecuadorian Swift - Acanthylis (cinereiventris) occidentalis
Ash-rumped Swift - Acanthylis (cinereiventris) sclateri

Band-rumped Swift
Band-rumped Swift - Acanthylis (spinicaudus) spinicaudus
Panamanian Swift - Acanthylis (spinicaudus) aetherodroma
Brazilian Swift - Acanthylis (spinicaudus) aethalea

Vaux's Swift
Vaux's Swift - Chaetura (vauxi) vauxi
Yucatan Swift - Chaetura (vauxi) gaumeri
Richmond's Swift - Chaetura (vauxi) richmondi
Venezualan Swift - Chaetura (vauxi) aphanes

Chapman's Swift
Chapman's Swift - Chaetura (chapmani) chapmani
Amazonian Swift - Chaetura (chapmani) viridipennis

Short-tailed Swift
Short-tailed Swift - Chaetura (brachyura) brachyura
Tumbes Swift - Chaetura (chapmani) ocypetes

Remaining Swifts

White-throated Needletail
White-lored Needletail - Hirundapus (caudacutus) caudacutus
Himalayan Needletail - Hirundaptus (caudacutus) nudipes

Silver-backed Needletail
Silver-backed Needletail - Hirundapus (cochinchinensis) cochinchinensis
Nepal Needletail - Hirundapus (cochinchinensis) rupchandi
Taiwan Needletail - Hirundapus (cochinchinensis) formosanus

Australian Swiftlet
Australian Swiftlet - Aerodramus (terraereginae) terraereginae
Chillagoe Swiftlet - Aerodramus (terraereginae) chillagoensis

Ameline Swiftlet
Amerline Swiftlet - Aerodramus (amelis) amelis
Palawan Swiftlet - Aerodramus (amelis) palawanensis

Himalayan Swiftlet
Himalayan Swiftlet - Aerodramus (brevirostris) brevirostris
Indochinese Swiftlet - Aerodramus (brevirostris) rogersi

Malagasy Palm Swift
Malagasy Palm Swift - Cypsiurus (gracilis) gracilis
Comoro Palm Swift - Cypsiurus (gracilis) griveaudi

Asian Palm Swift
Western Palm Swift - Cypsiurus (balasiensis) balasiensis
Eastern Palm Swift - Cypsiurus (balasiensis) infumatus

African Black Swift
African Black Swift - Apus (barbatus) barbatus
Bioko Black Swift - Apus (barbatus) sladeniae

Horus Swift

Horus Swift - Apus (horus) horus
Brown-rumped Swift - Apus (horus) fuscobrunneus

Little Swift
African Little Swift - Apus (affinis) affinis
Bannerman's Little Swift - Apus (affinis) bannermani
Indian Little Swift - Apus (affinis) singalensis

Funnily Apus (horus) fuscobrunneus was just subsumed into the nominate (rendering Horus Swift monotypic) in IOC version 14.1.

(One typo in Ameline Swiftlet).

Funnily Apus (horus) fuscobrunneus was just subsumed into the nominate (rendering Horus Swift monotypic) in IOC version 14.1.

(One typo in Ameline Swiftlet).
Birds of the worlds doesn't recognize it either, despite referencing the subspecies in the text. I am still not sure why fuscobrunneus isn't recognized...certainly the morphological differences seem to be sufficient. I know there are concerns about birds in Zaire having darker rumps, but at this point there isn't any evidence to say they are the same thing as the Angolan birds, so it seems a rather arbitrary decision.

I'll fix the typo in the next draft, for now here is the list updated through Apodidae:

Hummingbirds...will take awhile, so don't expect a major update incorporating them for at least several weeks, if not a month.

Not sure I completely buy there reasoning that fuscobrunneus doesn't warrant subspecies status, which seems to amount to it being rare. But plenty of swift species are poorly documented in museum collections without a lot known about their life history not to mention difficult to ID, and it hails from a region of the world that likely doesn't get the same ornithological coverage as other parts. Really we need some genetics applied to the manner.

Not sure I completely buy there reasoning that fuscobrunneus doesn't warrant subspecies status, which seems to amount to it being rare. But plenty of swift species are poorly documented in museum collections without a lot known about their life history not to mention difficult to ID, and it hails from a region of the world that likely doesn't get the same ornithological coverage as other parts. Really we need some genetics applied to the manner.
We already asking for years to do genetics of both 'toulsoni' and 'fuscobrunneus' but so far now-one picked up this (both Gerald and I can't). We worked our way through museums collections in the past years, and as indicated in our article we found some swifts that are identified incorrectly. And still working on swifts in museum collections, so more and more will be corrected in the next years......

Last edited:
Have you also tried mapping in the BirdLife Taxonomy?

When I did this I found that there were several splits that were not covered by Clements groups. I will have a check through my mapping (although it now needs updating to BirdLife 8) and then through this thread to suggest any other potential splits.

Actually from my mapping, I have created my own set of groups (for each taxonomy) which is the minimum level or granularity required to enable exchange of data at species level between IOC, Clements and BirdLife… so not groups for Common Merganser (American) and (Eurasian), but under Clements the retention of Green-winged Teal (Green-winged) and (Eurasian), plus as I say some newly created groups to fit some splits in other lists.

It has been fascinating (but a bit tedious) to see that generally convergence is occurring and that the number of these (minimum requirement for species mapping) groups, is reducing year by year.

Actually, I have been meaning to contact Cornell and supply my additional Clements groups for hopeful incorporation in a future version of EBird.

… it seems a shame at the moment that with EBird you cannot record at sufficient granularity to cover all splits in other taxonomies - apart from by perhaps adding a note.

… I also think it would be nice if EBird had groups marked * - to identify the required level of granularity to allow mapping between the main current taxonomies. I.e a ‘must use for mapping to another taxonomy’ flag. This would presumably help those users who love EBird, but want to export data to another taxonomic list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back