• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Birding (1 Viewer)

We were at Lakenheath last weekend. There were a couple of male orioles singing in the Poplars, a male gargeney on a pool and a gropper was singing on the way back by the pools with the Gargeney near to the visitor centre.

ps anyone been to Lakenheath for the Orioles yet? I may go next week and was wondering where the best place for Groppers is?
I don't know if it's of any use to you but I was at Carlton Marshes on Saturday and there was a couple of Grasshopper Warblers reeling away in the reedbeds although I didn't manage to spot them. In fact that was the case with a lot of birds there on Saturday as we heard Sedge, Willow, Reed and Cetti's warblers as well but most of them kept hidden although they were only a couple of metres away. A better birder than me might have more success though. ;)

Ron

I knew I should have gone to Lakenheath... I'm considering going tomorrow, does anyone know what the paths are like now (I've not been for over a year), will I be abel to get round with a pushchair.

I don't know if it's of any use to you but I was at Carlton Marshes on Saturday and there was a couple of Grasshopper Warblers reeling away in the reedbeds although I didn't manage to spot them. In fact that was the case with a lot of birds there on Saturday as we heard Sedge, Willow, Reed and Cetti's warblers as well but most of them kept hidden although they were only a couple of metres away. A better birder than me might have more success though. ;)

Ron

Thanks for that Ron. I was at Carlton a couple of weeks ago and there wasnt much activity so I might give it another look.
Postcard, I havent been for over a year so im not sure about the tracks for a pushchair, sure someone will advise.
Cheers,
Jim.

Pushchair at Lakenheath.

Postcardcv.

I went to Lakenheath today with my missus and little girl in a pushchair. It was fine to get round the reserve. I went through the Visitor centre and walked the path to the left hand side of the poplars rather than walk the riverbank. I had a superb walk on this cracking little reserve.

Regards.

Fox.

I agree. I went to Lakenheath last summer and recall most of it being good hard paths. Mind you, we did take one wrong turn and ended up walking through head high reeds like a scene from the 'African Queen'.

Unfortunately, on the day we went there wasn't much about but it is a lovely reserve and pretty amazing for an ex-carrot field.

Ron

Had nice views of both the adult male and the adult female Red-footed Falcons hawking insects over one of the far Polpar planations yesterday evening between 7:50-8:20pm at Lakenheath, viewed from the riverbank past the hide. The male in particular was a stonker!

Cheers,

Connor

Last edited:
went to boyton early this morning had good views of marsh harrierx2 cockoox2 turtle dove and barn owl
the barn owl there is really pale almost white but not albino kind of looks washed out i,ve seen similarly washed out short earred owls is this a well known owl thing (coundn't spell phenomnum)
there were plenty of sedge warblers, linnets and meadow pipits also little egrets and herons
mind you it is really quite dry there at the moment
then this afternoon i stopped under the orwell bridge for another quick view of the peregrines, afraid the novelty hasn't worn off yet, and was rewarded with good views
cheers

Went to Lakenheath today hoping for the RFFs. Unfortunately they had flown up high before we got there and weren't seen again whilst we were there. Apparently there is one at Fen Drayton but we didn't have the time or the will to go find it. Loads of hobbies and a brief view of a bittern were some consolation, as was a nice view of a hare on the B1112, but I also missed a crane and didn't sight the orioles this time either (not that we were looking particularly hard- concentrating on the falcons in the vain hope that they would reappear). The male Gargeney is still knocking about though, so that was nice, common terns and a pair of stone chats were also of note.

Incidentally, on the way back along the **** we came upon a group of birders staring into a field. A brief stop to ask what everyone was looking at revealled they were searching for stone curlews. However, where everyone was parked there were signs on the verge saying "strictly no parking, protected verge". We only saw them once we pulled up but quickly left the scene. However, all those other birders seemed to be blatently ignoring these notices. Now I understand the desire to see a rare breeding bird, but really, isn't this going a bit too far?! We are after all supposed to be supporting conservation. Any thoughts or comments on a more appropriate approach to accessing this site by vehicle, if there is one, would be gratefully received. Otherwise, Weeting Heath isn't very far from there anyway.

Cheers

Jo

Did not have shifts booked for today as I wanted weekend to recover from holiday, so after a lie in went to Lakenheath arriving about 10am.

Heard golden oriole, saw a whitethroat, sparrowhawk, kestrel, kingfisher x2, 1 female red footed falcon (distantly), reed bunting, great crested grebes, 2 cranes flying high at 10.45am, cuckoo, hobby, nightingale, sedge and reed warbler, green woodpecker and long tailed tit. Dipped on the gargeney though! It was freezing cold and and the sun was not out that much and when I got back to Norfolk it was wonderful sunny weather!!!!!! Spent the afternoon showing my parents and sister my Lesvos pictures.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

I was at lakenheath today, also noticed a couple with scopes etc walking through the areas marked 'no entry' due to breeding birds, but rather than walk round, they walked straight through without a care in the world.

Brief views of golden O's at the far plantation. Male singing frequently. No sign of the red footed falcons though :(

No sign of the stone curlew at Weeting either, aparently they are just over the ridge. Nice views of spot fly and wood lark though.

Incidentally, on the way back along the **** we came upon a group of birders staring into a field. A brief stop to ask what everyone was looking at revealled they were searching for stone curlews. However, where everyone was parked there were signs on the verge saying "strictly no parking, protected verge". We only saw them once we pulled up but quickly left the scene. However, all those other birders seemed to be blatently ignoring these notices. Now I understand the desire to see a rare breeding bird, but really, isn't this going a bit too far?! We are after all supposed to be supporting conservation. Any thoughts or comments on a more appropriate approach to accessing this site by vehicle, if there is one, would be gratefully received. Otherwise, Weeting Heath isn't very far from there anyway.

The problem will not just be damage to the verges... stone curlews are very easily disturbed and if there is a nesting pair at the site where people are stopping they could well be disturbed. If it is known that there is a pair nesting on this site (I noticed a group of birders there last week) then stopping and risking disturbance is not only morally wrong it's also illegal. I know that there have been similar situations in previos years and the police have become involved. I'm not saying that you did anything wrong by stopping to ask what someone is looking at, just warning others of the potential problems of looking for stone curlew from roadsides.

The problem will not just be damage to the verges... stone curlews are very easily disturbed and if there is a nesting pair at the site where people are stopping they could well be disturbed. If it is known that there is a pair nesting on this site (I noticed a group of birders there last week) then stopping and risking disturbance is not only morally wrong it's also illegal. I know that there have been similar situations in previos years and the police have become involved. I'm not saying that you did anything wrong by stopping to ask what someone is looking at, just warning others of the potential problems of looking for stone curlew from roadsides.

Unfortunately the signs were so small we only saw them after we pulled up and spoken to the birders. But at least we had the good sense to leave straight away. The other people stood there didn't seem to give a toss about disturbance.

If it's where I think you mean they have been nesting there quite happily for several years, and have been observed from the road for the same length of time. I hear through the grapevine (although obviously I don't know if it's true) that the signs are not so much to do with disturbing the birds but that the owners are fed up with people parking there!!!
Of course the welfare of the bird must come first but several more experienced birders than I have watched them (although of course not for too long, just in case) for years. And these are very responsible people who wouldn't be there if they thought there was any disturbance.

Lakenheath Fen on saturday.
Fantastic reserve, RSPB are doing great things there. Helpful staff too who knew their stuff.
Distant views of the 2 Falcons and good views of the female in flight. Despite persistance with the Orioles no views, but at least 2 males were calling. How many birds are on site this year, any ideas? No Groppers either, although the habitat looks ideal.
Hobbies in abundance, Cuckoo calling along with Nightingale- amazing range of sound at times. Overall a great day.
I see an Oriole has been calling at Flatford- anyone had the pleasure? At the same time it is a species prone to disturbance and this is a public forum, so please use discretion folks....
Cheers,
Jim.

Lakenheath on Sunday for the Golden Oriole walk (4am!) with the ranger. (20 people present)
Saw glimpses of Male Oriole in the far plantation near to the riverbank as it flew from row to row. All Orioles were singing well and also a singing nightingale in the same plantation.

From the far watch point saw bearded tit, Reed and sedge warblers, whitethroat, cuckoo, hobby, barn owl, red footed falcon (Male and female in separate trees at far end of reserve visable with scope) marsh harriers and as we walked back to the centre, a bittern flew right over our heads (about 14 feet off the ground) magnificent! One of the Orioles was moving around quite a bit and went into the a plantation near the path that runs at the back of reserve (not the river bank path) so it is worth doing the circular path rather than just up and down the river bank. Also 2 Roe Deer.
Tina.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back