• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sugaring (2 Viewers)

Richard D

what was that...
Supporter
United Kingdom
Any advice/experiences with sugaring? Something I've yet to try.

Is it worth trying in winter or not?

Dark beer/treacle/brown sugar still the best recipe, or with the explosion in availability ofalternative 'sugars' is Agave/Date Syrup better?

Effectiveness of wine ropes vs sugaring?

Thoughts and experiences welcome.

Any advice/experiences with sugaring? Something I've yet to try.

Is it worth trying in winter or not?

Dark beer/treacle/brown sugar still the best recipe, or with the explosion in availability ofalternative 'sugars' is Agave/Date Syrup better?

Effectiveness of wine ropes vs sugaring?

Thoughts and experiences welcome.
I expect you'll get some answers, but worth doing the experimentation ... and writing it up on here? ;-)

I expect you'll get some answers, but worth doing the experimentation ... and writing it up on here? ;-)

I will - I found some rough sawn timber in the garden that might be a better bet for domestic harmony than directly applying to trees/fence.

Morning.

I tried sugaring a month or so ago in the garden for about a week in Sittingbourne and drew a blank. I’ll try again when It is dry. I used a plank of wood found along the Medway, I had a romantic notion of recycling it for nature.

There should be a country moth group on Facebook who may also be able to assist.

I would be interested to know your results.

Regards.

Morning.

I tried sugaring a month or so ago in the garden for about a week in Sittingbourne and drew a blank. I’ll try again when It is dry. I used a plank of wood found along the Medway, I had a romantic notion of recycling it for nature.

There should be a country moth group on Facebook who may also be able to assist.

I would be interested to know your results.

Regards.
Thanks - I'll let you know. Will probably go for Bishop's Finger or 1698 as a base, and if it works in Faversham it will probably work for you.

I have always struggled with sugaring, very patchy results. May be I never quite got the mix correct, must admit not tried it here in Aus perhaps I should. Will be very interested in hearing how you got on and exactly what solution you used

Domestic harmony? You mean you've never put any dead birds you've found in the freezer for further study?

;-)
When my now wife and I first moved in together nearly 26 years ago I had two fridge / freezers, one labelled food the other specimens. Within the first week Tish was reaching to get some milk was still talking to me and didn't look at which one she was opening...you can guess the rest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back