• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sumatran Mesia (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Just reading the latest 'Birding Asia' publication which carries an article about the Sumatran Mesia Leiothrix laurinae. The article mentions it being split by (del Hoyo and Collar 2016) yet it is 'newly split' according to Birdlife International.

Did I miss this, can't recall seeing anything about it and it's not adopted by the IOC as yet?

It's just that the BirdLife International account hasn't been updated since 2016...incidentally, I did update it last week for publication/update next year.

It's just that the BirdLife International account hasn't been updated since 2016...incidentally, I did update it last week for publication/update next year.
Thanks, there's nothing on the IOC site, stating that a split is imminent, does anyone else, other than BI, split it?

I went through all my old reports a couple of years ago, updating taxonomies and adding notes to potential splits, I didn't find anything for this. It's a bit confusing when OBC publish as a split, when it hasn't yet happened, publicly anyway?

Last edited:
Only BL split it. Not sure I follow your second paragraph; OBC haven't published a list since 1996, so the split of Sumatran Mesia by BirdLife was done two decades later.

A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back