• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Summer nature viewing in Scotland? (1 Viewer)

Jaywalk

United States
My wife and I are interested in visiting Scotland, possibly the Isle of Islay, for nature viewing - birds, marine mammals, etc. Is the summer season - say, late July and early August appropriate, or do we need to visit during bird migration time? Summer would be the best time for us because escaping the July - August heat in the southern US would give us an excellent reason to spend the time and money elsewhere!

Suggestions would be welcome, thank you.

There should be quite a bit to see, although the best time for breeding birds is likely to be earlier e.g. May/ June. It depends a little bit on what you want to see though. July/ August is quite a good time to see raptors for example, as the adults are feeding young or the young have fledged. If you want to visit seabird colonies, breeding birds may have left by mid-July. You would probably still see the same species, but the experience of the colonies in full swing wouldn't be there so much. So, it's a good time but it might not be the best time. If you have specific things you're looking for, we should be able to offer more advice on places and timing. I lived in Islay for a while and can give advice about where to go there.

My wife and I are interested in visiting Scotland, possibly the Isle of Islay, for nature viewing - birds, marine mammals, etc. Is the summer season - say, late July and early August appropriate, or do we need to visit during bird migration time? Summer would be the best time for us because escaping the July - August heat in the southern US would give us an excellent reason to spend the time and money elsewhere!

Suggestions would be welcome, thank you.
That period can be the height of the midge season, and so it would be prudent never to forget your insect repellent...!
MJB

As has been mentioned, you'll be there just after the birds breeding season has passed. There might still be enough around to see, but if you're interested in going out on boat trips then you might be visiting just as the peak Basking Shark season is happening. Note that the weather in the past few years in Scotland in July and August has been somewhat unsettled on the west coast. You'll not experience any cold days, but there might be lots of rain, sometimes lasting all day, but other days will have showers on and off all day, so come prepared for that. But if you get a good day, it'll be very good.

There should be quite a bit to see, although the best time for breeding birds is likely to be earlier e.g. May/ June. It depends a little bit on what you want to see though. July/ August is quite a good time to see raptors for example, as the adults are feeding young or the young have fledged. If you want to visit seabird colonies, breeding birds may have left by mid-July. You would probably still see the same species, but the experience of the colonies in full swing wouldn't be there so much. So, it's a good time but it might not be the best time. If you have specific things you're looking for, we should be able to offer more advice on places and timing. I lived in Islay for a while and can give advice about where to go there.
Thank you. When we firm up our plans I will contact you - I appreciate it.

The thing with midges is that they swarm and just generally live to really annoy you, getting in your face. Only the females bite, but I would say the midge's capacity to be really annoying is worse than their bite. Warm overcast, calm days are when they're at their worst. If there's a bit of a breeze though you might be lucky to escape the worst of it.

Some countries have bears and tigers and venomous snakes, but we have the midge!

Many people say Avon Skin So Soft is the best way of stopping them biting, so get some of that if you can before you come.

The thing with midges is that they swarm and just generally live to really annoy you, getting in your face. Only the females bite, but I would say the midge's capacity to be really annoying is worse than their bite. Warm overcast, calm days are when they're at their worst. If there's a bit of a breeze though you might be lucky to escape the worst of it.

Some countries have bears and tigers and venomous snakes, but we have the midge!

Many people say Avon Skin So Soft is the best way of stopping them biting, so get some of that if you can before you come.
The active ingredient is citronella btw. A local product called Smidge is also useful.

John

I can't stand the smell of Skin So Soft and it doesn't work for everyone. Smidge is much better and also gives some protection against clegs. My favourite time to visit Islay is late October or early November, loads of Geese and a good chance of White-tailed and Golden Eagle and no midges.

Avon changed the formula for Skin so soft many years ago, the old stuff worked as a midgie repellent, the newer stuff just made your skin soft so the swine's could bite you more easily............................

Avon changed the formula for Skin so soft many years ago, the old stuff worked as a midgie repellent, the newer stuff just made your skin soft so the swine's could bite you more easily............................
You used to be able to get SsS Original, is that no longer the case? I still have half a bottle LOL

Going on what my wife's pal, who is an Avon rep, says, it has changed, I have an old bottle which must be way past it's use by date, but use Smidge mostly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back