• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surprising feeding behaviour of Eleonora's falcon (1 Viewer)

fdokykcu

I don't know if you are aware of this recent research on Eleonora's falcon feeding habits, suggesting they manipulate preyed-upon birds to "keep them alive" until consumed.

I couldn't find any piece about this in English, the original research is published in French by a team of scientists working in the big colony nesting at Essaouira islands in Morocco in the following paper:

Qninba, A., A. Benhoussa, M. Radi, A. El Idrissi, H. Bousadik, B. Badaoui & M.A. El Agbani. 2015. Mode de prédation très particulier du faucon d’Éléonore Falco eleonorae sur l’Archipel d’Essaouira (Maroc Atlantique). Alauda, 83(2): 149-150

Alauda is the journal of the French Society of Ornithological Studies (SEOF).

I haven't been able to read the paper itself, coming along this info through the blog of the Spanish Ornitological Society, in an entry which also includes a couple of photos (beware!) of this behaviour from which I quote:

"Is during this project that a surprising observation has been made.... As the availability of prey can fluctuate, many falcons mutilate them plucking feathers from wings and tail to inhibit them from flying and placing (sic) them in cracks and bottom of holes on rocks. This behaviour, already known by local fishermen, has been registered and published recently by Qninba et al."

http://www.seo.org/blog/eleonora-el-halcon-que-almacena-presas-vivas-por-jorge-f-orueta/ (in Spanish)

Last edited:
I had just been reading this, thanks to a tweet by the BTO. The birds also demonstrating forethought and planning too, impressive stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back