• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surreal ducks (1 Viewer)

Joe A.

For some reason I like this photo and wondered if I'm alone. It's a digiscoped photo of several ducks -- I believe they're mallards -- searching for food. The strong side lighting and glare from the water, as well as compression from the scope, give the photo a surreal appearance. It's as though the ducks are floundering in muck or swamp scum. The area in which they are swimming is a narrow band of water set between rows of marsh reeds and vegatation.

I have sipped a little cabernet this evening and perhaps the affect has distorted my eyesight.

Any comments?

Attachments

• ducksinswamp.jpg
    ducksinswamp.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Artistic view it is. Left & right are Anas platyrhynchos, can't be sure of the middle one. As I first glimpsed the photo without reading any texts, it immediately brought chenier marshes to my mind.

Thanks Karwin, I appreciate you taking time to comment on my photo. The area of the photograph is definitely a marsh, about 5 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico, in South Texas. Late afternoon sun. The area had a many Black-Bellied Whistling ducks as well as Mallards. So I think your ID is correct.

Merry Christmas,

Joe

Karwin said:
Artistic view it is. Left & right are Anas platyrhynchos, can't be sure of the middle one. As I first glimpsed the photo without reading any texts, it immediately brought chenier marshes to my mind.

I thought a nice pic too.

I lightened it up in photoshop, and from that, the middle bird is a definite female Mallard, flanked by the two drake Mallards.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back