• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SW Florida USA - long shot warbler (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
Seen today at Six Mile Slough in upper level of pines. It behaved much like a Black and White, hanging upside down on limbs. It had a double bar on the wings and a great deal more color than even the young Black and Whites I've seen.

Suggestions?

Attachments

• a - IMG_9459.jpg
    a - IMG_9459.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 31
  • a - IMG_9462.jpg
    a - IMG_9462.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 30
  • a - IMG_9463.jpg
    a - IMG_9463.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 31
From the photos it doesn't look either real buffy or pale yellow, and I don't see any colouring that wouldn't be explained by low light, reflection and/or muck. Apart from being (I guess) gigantically unlikely, I don't see that considering pine warbler parentage would get you anywhere: they're not that colour on rear underparts.

Fair enough. Thank you both!
Fandango, 1st Winter and female B&W warblers “can” show a buff/cream wash to the flank and or underwing (as I could discern in your 1st image and no doubt would have been considerably enhanced by any sunlight “catching” the wash).…Have more faith in your own observations Fandango.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
It would probably be impossible for a Pine Warbler to hybridize with a Black-and-white Warbler. The pair has never been recorded, and they both have abundant overlapping breeding populations that allow for the opportunity to happen. Black-and-white and Worm-eating are the only eastern US warbler species that have streaked undertail coverts like this bird. Aside from the apparent white color of this bird, in the 2nd photo you can also see a white wingbar, which easily/conclusively rules out Worm-eating Warbler, not that it can't be ruled out without seeing that wingbar.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back