• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow-tailed Kite!?!?!?!?!? South Carolina, USA (1 Viewer)

Daddylion

The Daddy Lion
I was going through my pictures from our South Carolina trip last summer, hoping I'd missed something in regards to bird species. And lo and behold, I found this shot. This bird was with a Mississippi Kite and I (being just started birding) asssumed it to be a Mississippi also. But now I notice the forked tail. It was taken within range of the Swallow-tailed, but in the northern reaches. Sorry for the poor quality.

Thanks for the help! You guys are the best!:t:

Attachments

• Swallow-tailed Kite.JPG
    Swallow-tailed Kite.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 211
Potentially it could be but I'm struggling to make out that much colour on the photo - it does look greyish, not the black and white contrast you get between wings and body on swallow-tail, but it could be the light that makes it look greyish

I think that the bird is flying away from us (yes/no?), if so it looks to me like the tail is foreshortened and twisted up to the right, which would mean the 'fork' is formed by the bird's legs/feet dangling - in which case I'd say it's a Mississippi.

Cheers,
Andrew

Oh, I was under the impression that it was flying towards us... but I see now that you are right. I guess the "fork" could be the leg... lets see what the others think.
Thanks Andrew!

I agree with niels and Microtus, but I think Andrew may be right that it is flying away and that the "fork" is cause by the tail and a foot/leg.

Thank you Niels, Microtus and Matt for the help. Hopefully I will see a Swallow-tailed in Florida later this month.

Last edited:
Hopefully you see one Daddylion, I had my eyes glued to the sky back in March when I went and missed out. Good luck to you my friend.

Last edited:
My first three were together (!!) near the Lancaster/Berks county border on Memorial Day 1995. Unbelievable; at least two were there for several days if I recall correctly. Driving home across the Susquehanna River just as a severe thunderstorm with heavy rain hit was unbelievable too. When we were in Florida in Feb 2004 we saw two different ones from the interstate.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back