• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8x32EL - Calling all owners! (8 Viewers)

Is the current issue rainguard rubber or plastic? Does it work well in the field?

the rainguard is solid plastic, but has a click-stop adjustment so you can set it to the desired position. Personally I find it works well, sits nicely on the bins and falls away as I bring them to my eyes - just what I want a rain/crumb guard to do.

the rainguard is solid plastic, but has a click-stop adjustment so you can set it to the desired position. Personally I find it works well, sits nicely on the bins and falls away as I bring them to my eyes - just what I want a rain/crumb guard to do.

I quite agree. In fact, I ordered the rubber afterwards thinking it might be a bit better. It wasn't.

Thanks Sancho et al.

Am I right in saying that early Swaro 8x32ELs had hard plastic cups, but the current ones have rubber eyecups?

Hello Dialyt!

There are alternative eyecups.
Normal ones are made from rubber I guess, neither too hard nor too soft.

The winged version also fits on the SLC models.
Regards, Tom

Attachments

• 9,jpg.JPG
    9,jpg.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 100
  • 10,jpg.JPG
    10,jpg.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 103
  • f1.JPG
    f1.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 96
Hello Dialyt!

There are alternative eyecups.
Normal ones are made from rubber I guess, neither too hard nor too soft.

The winged version also fits on the SLC models.
Regards, Tom

Hi Tom,

Please can you confirm that the winged eye-cups fit the 8x32EL's. I've seen them on the 8.5x biggies, but was not aware if they fitted the smaller EL's (different diameter eyecups I read somwhere?).
I hope they are obtainable for mine as they seem to work really well.

Thanks, Steve.

Hi Tom,

Please can you confirm that the winged eye-cups fit the 8x32EL's. I've seen them on the 8.5x biggies, but was not aware if they fitted the smaller EL's (different diameter eyecups I read somwhere?).

Thanks, Steve.

Swarovski make them for both the 42mm and 32mm ELs (different ones for each), I think you can buy them direct from Swarovski for ~£25 (though I could be wrong). I'm quite tempted to get a pair to try, they look like they could be good.

Swarovski make them for both the 42mm and 32mm ELs (different ones for each), I think you can buy them direct from Swarovski for ~£25 (though I could be wrong). I'm quite tempted to get a pair to try, they look like they could be good.

Thanks Postie. I'll send them an enquiry.

Thanks Postie. I'll send them an enquiry.
Alternatively, try this simple trick, that I´m sure I read about elsewhere on BF: Go for a cycle. Get a bad puncture. Change your inner tube. Cut out cylindrical sections from the old inner tube, with "wings" on, to pop over the eyecups on your bins. (The rubber loses its "inner-tubey" smell after a while). I´ve done it, it works fine, but I find I don´t really need the "wings".

Don't the wings interfere with the rain guards, anyway?

Not the soft rubber ones I made out of bicycle inner tubes. The rain-guards popped over them. But I didn´t use them much. A lot probably has to do with physiognom....physiogo....phisiog.......the shape of one´s face. I´ve deep eye-sockets, so the eyecups on all my bins fit nicely into them and there isn´t much stray light gets in. I suppose all this will change as my eyesight deteriorates and I have to wear specs while birding.

... A lot probably has to do with physiognom....physiogo....phisiog.......the shape of one´s face. ...

Sancho,

I believe the word you're looking for is "fizeeonomee" - aka, the study of binocular-indented facial landscapes. You can look it up on Slickopedia, honest.

Robert

Hi Tom,

Thanks, Steve.

Hi Steve!

The Swarovski catalogue says they are available for ALL EL and SLC models.
Eyecups can be screwed on and off; so there's no need to send them anywhere and they may be exchanged repetedly

see here:
http://www.swarovskioptik.com/index...etail=en1129102236__ID434cbb9cbaff88.00618154

Best,
Thomas

Maybe.
More importantly: are they useful?
They look like they could be.
Unanimous verdict here?

Tom

Is that the standard rainguard or a special rainguard?

My only concern with winged eyecups is condensation from lack of air circulation.

Also, ThoLa, is that 'functional bag', on the Swaro link you posted, the standard case supplied with the 8x32ELs?

Forgive me for being a bit dense here but if the normal eyecups twist out to the desired position, how does that work with the winged eyecups. Can you rotate the wings when the eyecups are in the correct position or have I misunderstood how they work?

Ron

Forgive me for being a bit dense here but if the normal eyecups twist out to the desired position, how does that work with the winged eyecups. Can you rotate the wings when the eyecups are in the correct position or have I misunderstood how they work?

Ron

Looks like you'd first establish your IPD, then turn the cups to match the form of the rainguard.

Dr. Freud? ...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back