• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski CL companion 8x30 question about light gathering and eye relief (1 Viewer)

I never used the loop connectors. I'll have to check them out.

The Circle connectors on my CL Companion 8x30 B started coming loose so I called Swarovski about them and they sent me 2 free replacements. These are working fine but I find that I'm always looking at them to see if they are tight.:smoke:

I don't know if I would feel more secure using loop connectors? Any thoughts on that?

Bob

I would love loop connectors but that's not possible on these bins. Unless there is something I'm missing here looks like you must use Swarovski system and connectors. What do you have hooked to the connectors? And how did they come loose?

Bob and PD,

If I follow the question correctly: Swarovski does make "loop connectors "which allow the use of standard straps and/or harnesses on the FP models. However for the CL model as I recall you also have to get the pins for the SV series because the pins that come with the CL are too short to install the loop connectors. The loop connectors and the pins do not usually come as a set. In any case the FP attachments according to some reports, and one experience I had, can come loose during use. I double check mine every time before going out.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Bob and PD,

If I follow the question correctly: Swarovski does make "loop connectors "which allow the use of standard straps and/or harnesses on the FP models. However for the CL model as I recall you also have to get the pins for the SV series because the pins that come with the CL are too short to install the loop connectors. The loop connectors and the pins do not usually come as a set. In any case the FP attachments according to some reports, and one experience I had, can come loose during use. I double check mine every time before going out.

Hope this helps.

Mike

That's not good. Too bad they had to change the connection. I much prefer loops. They are simple and work. Proprietary connectors and loose parts is enough to make me look at a different model. The CL B companion had the loop system adaptable to standard type straps.

Bob and PD,

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I had forgotten that the CL Companion B series binoculars use shorter connector Pins than the other Swarovski binoculars use.

So, like you, I'll just continue to double check them when I use my CL Companion 8x30 B.:smoke:

Bob

Last edited:
That's not good. Too bad they had to change the connection. I much prefer loops. They are simple and work. Proprietary connectors and loose parts is enough to make me look at a different model. The CL B companion had the loop system adaptable to standard type straps.

PD,

IMO this is a small inconvenience.

The Swarovski 8/10x30 B binocular is by far the easiest to use 8x30 binocular I have ever owned.

It was written here by Jan Van Daalen when it was first introduced that its eyepieces had a so-called "Optical Box" built into them.

I find that it allows me to place the eyepieces back in my eye sockets or even braced up against and just under my Eye Brows when I use it with out getting blackouts.

Bob

Last edited:
I just thought of something. I use a bino harness, because im usually out for hours on end and I find it helps quite a bit.

Question, with the Companion CL's and their neck strap and harness connection how do you connect a regular no name harness that doesn't use circle connections but just relies on on a strap going through some kind of loop? Are you forced to buy and use the Swarovski harness if you decide to use one alongside the CL companions?

I've never used the stock strap with Field Pro attachments, I always use a Rick Young Ultra-Light harness with the Swarovski strap loop connector pins. These aren't supplied with the CL B(are supplied with the ELs). You just have to get them to send you some. I took some pics so you would better understand.

Attachments

• EF4CADE0-09F7-4ED0-91B2-6C0D86A287221.jpeg
    EF4CADE0-09F7-4ED0-91B2-6C0D86A287221.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 13927370-7009-4581-8327-7FD038837C6A1.jpeg
    13927370-7009-4581-8327-7FD038837C6A1.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 163
  • E508D262-2A99-4595-B29D-FAC42D6EF8E01.jpeg
    E508D262-2A99-4595-B29D-FAC42D6EF8E01.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 170
Thanks Mike,

I had forgotten that the CL Companion B series binoculars use shorter connector Pins than the other Swarovski binoculars use.

So, like you, I'll just continue to double check them when I use my CL Companion 8x30 B.:smoke:

Bob

This seems like a major fail. But Im guessing that Swarovski could potentially fix this issue if they come up with a better fitting connecter that doesnt come loose. The CL Companion where on my very short list of possible bins. Very disappointing.

This seems like a major fail. But Im guessing that Swarovski could potentially fix this issue if they come up with a better fitting connecter that doesnt come loose. The CL Companion where on my very short list of possible bins. Very disappointing.

Hi PD,

Think it over before you decide.

And read my comment to you about the CL Companion 8/10 x30B in Post #26 above.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi PD,

Think it over before you decide.

And read my comment to you about the CL Companion 8/10 x30B in Post #26 above.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Ive definitely narrowed it down to Monarch HG, Swarovski CL Companion or the Swaro SLC. So now the next step is finding a shop to test these out! Then the scope will be a whole other set of issues to figure out.

I've never used the stock strap with Field Pro attachments, I always use a Rick Young Ultra-Light harness with the Swarovski strap loop connector pins. These aren't supplied with the CL B(are supplied with the ELs). You just have to get them to send you some. I took some pics so you would better understand.

This is a great solution! Do you find the connectors used from the EL's every come loose like others have reported in the thread?

Whilst I'm not saying it couldn't happen... I've never had the connectors pop out on either my ELs or my CL Companions. The central pin securing the strap lug requires a firm push in and a twist to release it. I think perhaps the secret is to make sure that the pin has securely clicked into place - otherwise it could come loose.

One other thing... I wouldn't get too hung up on the idea of a "forever" pair of binoculars. Over the years, I've had a number of "forever" binoculars - a Leitz Trinovid 10x40BGA, a Leica Trinovid 8x42BN, and now a Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV. However, I also have a number of other binos that I enjoy greatly in different circumstances - each pair has its individual merits and weaknesses: more/less field of view, more/less weight, light gathering, ease of view, etc...

As you'll no doubt be aware from this forum - we all have different criteria for choosing the binoculars we do, and very often, those criteria will change over time - as does the performance of newer models of binoculars. In many ways, my old Leitz 10x40 Trinovids would be easily outclassed by a great many, far cheaper, Chinese manufactured binoculars that one could purchase today.

By all means, get the very best binoculars you want and can afford - and really enjoy using them, and hang on to them for a long, long time. But be prepared to accept that as time goes by, you may decide that you want another pair to "complement" the one that you have. Around here, this is regarded as "normal"...;);)

This is a great solution! Do you find the connectors used from the EL's every come loose like others have reported in the thread?

Whilst I'm not saying it couldn't happen... I've never had the connectors pop out on either my ELs or my CL Companions. The central pin securing the strap lug requires a firm push in and a twist to release it. I think perhaps the secret is to make sure that the pin has securely clicked into place - otherwise it could come loose.

I've owned four Swarovski binoculars with the Field Pro attachments(currently have three).....I've never had any of them come loose.

The FP strap works fairly well on the CL B after a couple months use and adjustment. But I had planned form the start to install a Rick Young harness eventually. This weekend I dug out the harness and loop adapters and EL pins and installed everything. So far it is really a great set up. Also oddly enough the loop adapters using EL pins seems to fit even better and more securely than the original CL attachment gear.

On another note I didn't care for the ocular cover that came with the new CL. I substituted the ocular cover from the original CL which is more compact and works much more conveniently in use.

Mike

I've owned four Swarovski binoculars with the Field Pro attachments(currently have three).....I've never had any of them come loose.

I've got one pair of Swarovski binoculars with the Field Pro attachments, a 10x30 CL. And mine came loose twice.

The Field Pro attachments are a bad solution to a non-existent problem IMNSHO. No idea what kind of drugs the guys at Swrovski were on when they introduced it.

Hermann

............….Really the only benefits the CL B has are size/weight and cost. I feel the SLC will be more user friendly, especially for an eyeglass wearer with the larger exit pupil. The SLC 8X42 is DEFINITELY a forever binocular and one you are not likely to get tired of. It will be hard to beat at any price.
from post #6

I had a chance to compare a number of binoculars this weekend, among them the Swaros and in particular the models discussed here. They were both in a way new to me, and that is why I paid special attention to them. While I have no need for another model , I always try to check anyway. To me, preferences would clearly be reversed. I simply did not feel comfortable with the SLC's ergonomics. But the CL B impressed me in many respects. In a way it is still pretty close with its compactness to the true compacts such as the CL Pockets x25. Yet in all other respects it is much more a full sized type, more like the ELs. Focusing with the Pockets is hampered by the focus wheel that it too much recessed for my liking. The CL B 8x30 on the other hand, felt great, and ease of view is excellent as well. Together with the compactness, this would be my binocular if I would start anew now. It also did not bother me with a roller ball/globe effect (contrary to the ELs).

Edit: Rethinking what I wrote, I must add that I do not trust the strap fixing mechanism and that might preclude my actually selecting any of the present Swaros! Swarovski has done the serious field users a major disservice with this pin dependent attachment. What if I am on a cruise in the Arctic or wherever and I'm loosing one of these pins?!

Last edited:
An 8x42 will provide roughly double the light transmission of a 8x30 binocular. On the other hand I would also consider a 10x42 binocular. Handholding a 10x binocular is a bit more difficult but you get better visibility for bird ID in low light with the extra magnification.

I always think back to the song with the line "how hopeless it all becomes when you seek all the answers in one". I have a 7x50 marine binocular that is almost like having night vision binos out on the water at night, a 10x25 pocket bino, and Swarovski 8x30 bino, Pentax 10x43 bino, and an inexpensive Nikon Monarch 7 8x25 bino that I leave in the one car and a Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 pair that I leave in my truck.

The pair I use the most are the Swarovski 10x25 CL Pocket Mountain as they fit in a jacket pocket or in their case attached to the side of a backpack and are the most convenient to have on hand. In low light my pick is the 10x43 that works the best for me.

Rethinking what I wrote, I must add that I do not trust the strap fixing mechanism and that might preclude my actually selecting any of the present Swaros! Swarovski has done the serious field users a major disservice with this pin dependent attachment. What if I am on a cruise in the Arctic or wherever and I'm loosing one of these pins?!
Swaro binos are great, but with straps they keep trying to reinvent the wheel to fix nonexistent problems. I disliked even the previous one, which gave quick adjustability I never need at the cost of protruding levers and loose ends flapping around. Normal straps just work. And even if you put one on FPs you still have to worry about those pins.

Rethinking what I wrote, I must add that I do not trust the strap fixing mechanism and that might preclude my actually selecting any of the present Swaros! Swarovski has done the serious field users a major disservice with this pin dependent attachment. What if I am on a cruise in the Arctic or wherever and I'm loosing one of these pins?!

You might even lose the bins if one of the pins comes loose ... :) If this were to happen to me I'd have to switch to by backup binoculars. I never go on long trips without a backup ...;)

BTW, the Habicht still have the traditional attachments.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back