• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift/swallow shaped bird over a lake in Central Texas- identifiable from this shot? (1 Viewer)

Tired

United States
DSCN2161.JPG
DSCN2161cropped.png

Several of these were swooping over this lake, periodically dipping down for a drink. I didn't get any better shots than this, since they were small, fast, far away, and never stopped moving. Is it possible to tell what this is from this shot? I'd estimate it being a smidge larger than the red-winged blackbirds it occasionally flew through, but wouldn't put money on that. They flew in a relatively smooth pattern, not dipping and bobbing like some birds do.

Edit: please see new photo of a different bird, a couple posts down.

Last edited:
Oh, they are! That's good news, there are a lot of local programs trying to encourage them. I think I even saw one of the typical purple martin colony houses nearby. Those usually only have house sparrows in them, but someone must be doing something right.

Cropped Swift or Swallow.png
While we're at it, any thoughts on this one? Another martin? It looks like something else to me, but I don't know if martins sometimes have markings like that, and it was acting like the martins. This was, I think last week?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back