• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts not sitting on eggs (1 Viewer)

Luna06

Spain
Hi,
I have swifts in a nest box and their behaviour is rather strange.
Two years ago I had a pair that raised 2 happy, healthy chicks. They sat on the eggs constantly and were very present parents.
Unfortunately, that pair died last year and a new pair moved in a couple of weeks later.
The new pair added to the nest and laid 2 eggs. However, they then moved the eggs out of the nest and just kept rolling them around the box. They would also leave the box in the morning and spend the whole day out, leaving the nest unattended, before returning at night. Needless to say, the eggs never hatched. I presumed it was because they were young and 'practising'.
This year, what I presume is the same pair, has returned and is doing exactly the same. The eggs appeared a few days ago and they are continuing to spend the whole day out, just coming back at night and rolling the eggs around the box. They even sit on the nest, but with the eggs elsewhere. Is it normal for them to take a few years to get it right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back