• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swing-out Baader (1 Viewer)

iporali

Hi all,

I just came up with an interesting "universal" swing-out adapter from Baader Planetarium.

http://www.baader-planetarium.de/download/microstage_2.pdf

It is relatively inexpensive, all metal construction which should hold up to 1 kg camera and it should fit on almost any eyepiece. It can be folded flat in a storage pouch - and as an important feature: the camera-eyepiece distance is easily adjusted.

Happy digiscoping,

Ilkka

That's an interesting find Ilkka.

My first impressions are that it looks simple and strong but it would be nice to see it in a couple of different sizes. In the photo with the compact camera mounted on it, the bottom rail is sticking out a long way, so an alternative shorter rail would be neater and save weight. The same thing applies with the eyepiece mount which covers a very wide range of sizes (29-63mm). A choice of large or small versions would be useful. The fold flat feature looks a bit impractical in use unless you want to spend a long time opening it up, fitting the camera and readjusting everything. I suppose you could leave the camera mounted on the lateral adjustment bar, mark the for and aft adjustment rail for the correct position and then separate the two parts.

Overall though it looks pretty good and a useful new bit of kit.

Ron

Last edited:
I've just discovered that Sherwoods are advertising the adapter for sale in the UK at £29.99 which makes it look a very good buy.

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/baader_planetarium/baader_filters_fs.html

Edit. One other thing I noticed is that they show it swinging away to the left. This would make it difficult to use if you view with your right eye. From the look of it I assume you could reverse it to swing away the other side.

Ron

Last edited:
I've just discovered that Sherwoods are advertising the adapter for sale in the UK at £29.99 which makes it look a very good buy.

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/baader_planetarium/baader_filters_fs.html

Edit. One other thing I noticed is that they show it swinging away to the left. This would make it difficult to use if you view with your right eye. From the look of it I assume you could reverse it to swing away the other side.

Ron

I've just bought one from Sherwoods, stand by for a review in a few days!!!!:t::t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back