• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

T-CON 17 for FZ 18 (1 Viewer)

power_8383

Hello guys,

I want to use the T-CON 17 teleconverter with my Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ18.

Frankly speaking, these diameter numbers in mm confuse me a lot. (I'll be very thankful if someone explain me this diameter dilemma in easy language.)

I was told that I need to buy Panasonic DMW-LA3 lens adapter so that I can use T-CON 17 teleconverter with my camera.
I've searched a lot, asked to many distributors, but no one has this DMW-LA3 lens adapter in India.

Then I came to know about its alternative PA62E Adapter (62mm) made by Pemaraal.
Code:
http://pemaraal.com/index.php?page=fz18ac#

But as it is a 62mm adapter, I needed to buy a 62mm to 55mm step-down ring.

I've Ordered PA62E Adapter (62mm) + 62mm to 55mm step-down ring and now I'm finally going to buy T-CON 17 teleconverter.

This whole thing cost me 6743 Rs./- only.
$55 for PA62E and 62mm to 55mm stepdown ring + 4,200 Rs. for T-CON 17.

Is this what all I need to use T-CON 17 with my FZ18 ?
Or is there anything I'm missing out ?

Hey, thanks for your quick reply sir.

Is it easy to use ?
I'm just a beginner in these kind of things.

Will you please give me some tips on using T-CON 17 with FZ 18 ?

Hey, thanks for your quick reply sir.

Is it easy to use ?
I'm just a beginner in these kind of things.

Will you please give me some tips on using T-CON 17 with FZ 18 ?

It's easy to use--just point and shoot. Just remember you can't zoom out to less than 7x or so (and/or you'll start to get vignetting), so you'll need to remove it if you want to take non-telephoto shots. Also, combining the adapters can be a little tricky at first, but just follow the instructions on the pemaraal web site.

Best,
Jim

Any more tips sir ?

Do you always use tripod with it ?

Will you please show us some sample images taken with and without T-CON 17 and FZ 18 ?

In my opinion the Nikon TC-E15ED X1.5 is a better choice of teleconverter for the FZ18. It is smaller and lighter than the TCON-17 with equal or better optical quality. It needs a step ring from Pemaraal as well as the adapter to fit the FZ18. I attach a few shots taken with the FZ18 plus Nikon TC-E15ED X1.5. With the exception of the treecreeper these were all taken in poor light through a double glazed window, ISO 400.

Attachments

• fieldfare2.jpg
    fieldfare2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 243
  • lesser_spot4.jpg
    lesser_spot4.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 209
  • redwing3.jpg
    redwing3.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 246
  • treecreeper3.jpg
    treecreeper3.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 214
In my opinion the Nikon TC-E15ED X1.5 is a better choice of teleconverter for the FZ18. It is smaller and lighter than the TCON-17 with equal or better optical quality. It needs a step ring from Pemaraal as well as the adapter to fit the FZ18. I attach a few shots taken with the FZ18 plus Nikon TC-E15ED X1.5. With the exception of the treecreeper these were all taken in poor light through a double glazed window, ISO 400.

Could be, but it's about three times the price of the TCON 17. Also, my web searches indicate it's essentially the same weight as the TCON 17 (9.1oz vs. 9.2oz for the TCON 17).

Best,
Jim

Managed to get mine cheap on Ebay, around £48 I think, there's a reasonably priced one for sale on here at the moment. I agree there's nothing wrong with the TCON-17 it's a perfectly good choice.

Any more tips sir ?

Do you always use tripod with it ?

Will you please show us some sample images taken with and without T-CON 17 and FZ 18 ?

You don't need to use a tripod. Shooting is the same as w/o the TC, so there are no tips to give. Image quality is also similar. There are a number of threads on the topic if you scroll back on this forum, some doubtless have comparison shots.

Best,
Jim

Nice photos sir.

Infact the most popular Teleconverter i.e. T-Con 17 is very rare to fnd in India.
I bet the distributors here have not even heard of Nikon TC-E15ED X1.5

Hello guys, I've just received my PA62E Adapter, but I dont know how to install it.
To be honest, I'vent understood the instructions.

Please can some1 give me a video tutorial for it or teach me in simple language how to install it ?

I'm just a beginner.

Thank you.

How dumb I was.
The adapter installation was very easy.
I installed it in a go.
I was afraid of the installation before trying to install it. :p

Anyways, I've attached the T-Con 17 to camera.
Now what ?
Just select the Teleconverter mode and thats all ?

Never used one myself, but it is my impression that the teleconverter mode will mainly limit how wide you can zoom. You should notice yourself that the edges get dark when you zoom too widely, so may not be all that important to do that. Otherwise, make sure that you do not go too low on shutter time, a tiny shake will show in the result.

Try it out!

Niels

I agree with Niels, I don't see any advantage in using the teleconverter mode (I have been using the TCON17 on my pana fz28 for about 3 months)

Only thing that might have an influence, is the exif file. You might be able to show that you used the TCON 17 (but I have not checked this thing out)

let us know what you think about the TCON17. You can check out my pics (mostly taken with the TCON17) : http://www.flickr.com/photos/16970154@N07/

@ njlarsen & loranfrfr

Thanks for your replies guys.
I also feel its really useless option to shift to teleconverter mode automatically, as it has disadvantage only.

But it doesnt zoom as much as I've expected. (Perhaps I'm feeling this is due to I'vent gone outdoor to check my TCON 17 yet.)

Or can the improper installation of T-Con 17 cause this ? (I think I've installed it properly though.)

@ loranfrfr
Great photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back