• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tales of a Birder on a Mission (Two)! (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
Tales of a Birder on a Mission (Two)!

Today was a day of moods and contrasts on the Northumberland coast. The mission was to find sea ducks, grebes and divers. A sort of ducking and diving day I suppose.

Heavy rains during the night had cleared by morning to leave a fresh, clear, rather colder, but still mild day. On the way north I found myself thinking of John Constable. I visited an exhibition of his ‘cloud’ paintings at the Scottish National Gallery in Edinburgh a few years ago and was most impressed. The cloud formations today reminded me of the visit. Also reminded me as to why I give up fairly quickly my dabbling with watercolours a while back. Mind you, even though I quickly realised I did not have the makings of a classical artist my little experience with the brushes and watercolours did give me a greater appreciation of colour and contrast in the natural world. Bills comments earlier this week about the skill that some have in depicting wildlife in drawings and paint also reminded me how much I wish it was a skill I possessed. Then I noticed Ruth’s avatar. Nice one Ruth. I am also mindful of the aesthetic reasons I watch birds. That and a gaining of knowledge are the real reasons I go birding. My listing and recording are part and parcel of the knowledge gaining aspect and simply that. A challenge to me and no other, so don’t be getting the wrong idea. Anyway, the cloud formations were wonderful.

I caught sight of the Mute Swans, Canada Geese and Black Headed Gull flocks on the local lake within minutes, arriving at the sandy bay at Low Newton in what seemed record time. It must have been my day dreaming and the chat that made time pass so quickly. I have described Low Newton in a previous post so suffice to say it includes a typical Northumbrian sandy and rocky bay. A Kestrel and Chaffinch awaited us near the car park and Oystercatchers, Turnstone, Dunlin, Sanderling, Redshank and Curlew were on the rocks and sand. No Purple Sandpiper that I could find. Only birds on the reserve pool were Teal and Wigeon. On the walk back along the beach a bit of a see watch brought us Eider Ducks, Goldeneye and star birds, 3 Velvet Scoters. So partially successful, but no divers or grebes. There were several Rock Pipits about. Instead of walking to the point for a further sea watch we decided to head for Stag Rocks at Bamburgh but not before watching a couple of flocks of Lapwing flying overhead lit by the sun. I don’t think I mentioned in my previous post on this area, that there is a white stag marked on the rocks at Stag Rocks.

The bay at Stag Rocks was today very quiet as far as sea birds were concerned. The sea here was quite rough in any event, in stark comparision to the sea a little further south at Low Newton. Rather strange I thought. The wind appeared to have got up to some force mind you and it was far from ideal conditions to sea watch. Quite a few Eider around here to but no divers or grebes here either. My mate did think he got the scope pointing at some Long Tailed Duck and I quickly looked and on first impression I thought he might be correct. Think he was to be honest. Not easy birds to fail to recognise but the sea was rough and they disappeared in a second so neither of us were definite. Numbers of Razorbill, in small parties, were seen though. On a rocky spit I was able to compare very well a Shag and Cormorant. Pity you missed that opportunity Graham!!!. There really is quite a size difference, which is really noticeable when the birds are together. A few more Rock Pipits, numerous Pied Wagtails and flocks of Starlings on the shore and a Wren in the bushes. Oh yes and this time a mixed flock of Turnstone and Purple Sandpipers

During our sea watch a rainbow appeared, the end of which descended behind Inner Farne. There lies the gold. We noticed that it was raining out at sea and to the north storm clouds where gathering. Layers of cloud forming into washes of various shades of blue and then it was not long before the rainbow disappeared behind threatening grey clods. The sea appeared to change colour from a bright blue to a dark grey and viridian green. Best be off we thought as the cold saltwater laden air could be felt on out faces. Mission only partially accomplished. However, worth the trip for the Velvet Scoters alone which were definitely the birds of the day. On the way back to the car a male Stonechat was seen. Go on Janay, another one for you! A few more birds for my year list. I shall bring you up to date with that later in the year. I can say there are no divers, Long Tailed Duck or grebes on it yet, but I am off to Musselburgh and Aberlady with the RSPB group on Saturday so live in hope of some more ducking and diving. The forecast does suggest that you may all be in for a ‘tale from a wet birder’. Thought my luck couldn’t last for much longer into 2007. I won’t complain, well I guess I will, as I haven’t had a really cold days birding yet this winter

42 species today. ;)

Best wishes

PS Seeing I have managed to drop in a few names to this thread heres another. I guess several of you will have noticed Scott (SAFM) has been missing for a while. Computer problems folks, but he says hello. He is hoping to be back on the internet on the 16th January. I will encourage a post from sunny Perth as they are a miss.

PPS I can't seem to delete my previous post, but I hope you read this one. lol

Last edited:
Well done with those Velvet Scoters Brian,though I would have been just as happy watching the flock of turnstones-my favourate wader!

Would love to go birding around northumberland myself sometime,sounds a fantastic spot..especialy along the coast around holy island.

Thanks for sharing

Matt

Hi Brian and Matt,
Well done with the Velvet Scoters Brian....I love Scoters (those low flying black lines of them out to sea are magic!!) last year we went to see the American Black Scoter off the North Wales coast....what a view and what a tick!!! ;)
Glad you like my avatar,thanks! :t:
Best wishes,

Hi Brian What a fantastic day, I envy you the variety of the Eastern Coasts variety of habitats, lots of sea birds up this way obviously,but the habitats do not have the wide range you have there, its either Estuaries, sandy beaches or salt marsh. We can get to sea cliffs but it is a fairly long drive out to North Wales to achieve this. But as a balance the area is very rich in inland Birding Facilities and habitats.

Good Birding PeterK

matt green said:
Well done with those Velvet Scoters Brian,though I would have been just as happy watching the flock of turnstones-my favourate wader!

Would love to go birding around northumberland myself sometime,sounds a fantastic spot..especialy along the coast around holy island.

Thanks for sharing

Matt

If you ever come to Northumberland and need any advice just give a shout.

I always think the Northumberland coast is rather like the North Norfolk coast, although without the large reserves and fewer species. Very good all the same.

Hi Brian,
I always enjoy reading your reports Brian (even if I don't always reply, I always read 'em!). You have such a descriptive way with words that makes one feel they're out there with you. I get my Bird guide out and find the birds you've seen, so that I can also 'see' the birds too. Thanks Brian, I enjoyed your 'ducking & diving'! Look forward to the next one (hope you don't get too wet!)
All the Best Brian,

Hi Brian,
Your report reflects some amazing observations of how artists find inspiration and how those lucky enough to have talent are able to translate what they see though art. And like you Brian, I can paint the picture in my mind, I can appreciate how you were inspired by the Study of Cirrus Clouds and able to draw on this comparison when you went out.

The Birds you saw at Low Newton alone would be enough to keep me buzzing for weeks!
I get all the forum pics by email, & notice a lot of Birders have taken some amazing pics of Oystercaters and Turnstones.
Well done with the Velvet Scoter, what a lovely Bird. Congratulations to Ruth on the American Black Scoter.

I'm glad you discussed the similarities between Shag & Cormorant, it really does help me Brian. I was confident enough to include the Cormorant in my report some time ago because it was id in the hide, but in a more recent Birding walk, I didn't include what looks like a Shag to me, just in case I'm wrong!!!
(I know everyone is helpful but I don't want to use up my quoter of mistakes) LOL!!

It also helps a great deal when you discuss Birds you were unsure of like the Long Tailed Duck.
Taking the time to discuss every aspect of your Birding trip is so important for a novice like me to fully appreciate your report.

As for my Bird of the day! you may be surprised to learn is Rock Pipit.
What a fabulous Bird! And yet another I'm unlikely to see unless I travel.
From what I've read, the Rock Pipit has only recently been seperated from the Water Pipit species.
Not an easy Bird to id (I would think).

Thank you Brian for a wonderful report. Good luck and enjoy your trip on the weekend.
Stay Dry!!

Well done Bonny Lad. Another good trip, well described. I liked your trip description ' ducking and diving '. I think Pam and I will be coming up your way March time, although only one of us will be interested in the bird-life. Hopefully, later in the year we will be ' doing ' the islands on Scotland's west coast. Should that come off I will be chuffed-to-little-mint-balls. It's not my idea either, which makes it more delightful, because Pam must have realised before mooting it, that I would be accompanied by bins and scope. Maybe the old girl's mellowing with age.
You got a good range of birds on your trip, I hope I can do as well when and if I get up there.

All the best Brian.
Baz.

Another not to be missed report from you Brian, captivating reading! :clap:
Your 'ducking and diving ' day was very productive wasn't it!

Thanks for sharing, enjoy your Saturday trip Brian o:)

Hi all

Thank you for your very warm comments. I was just thinking over the past couple of days whether or not I should give my reports a rest. I read your comments this morning and decided that even if only a few are getting some pleasure from reading them I shall continue.

Judo......I too read all the good posts, but don't always answer them. Perhaps too busy writing my own! ;)

Pie.....Glad you brought up the Water Pipit/Rock Pipit issue. I wasn't aware that a split had been fairly recent. I will read up on that as it surprises me. I have been taking a close look at both birds as I am aware that there has been a Water Pipit at Musselburgh for a week or two and I am hoping it stays there till tomorrow when I visit. Hope these winds die down too. I have promised to buy anyone in the RSPB group a 'half' if they find it and direct me to it. Hoping I find it first! In winter plumage Rock/Water Pipits are indeed very similar. Bit like the problem we have in distinguishing Meadow/Tree Pipits although they at least have quite different calls. The Rock/Water Pipits calls are very similar. I have only ever seen two Water Pipits. The first one was on top of a mountain in summer, in the Carpathians in Romania. A great country to visit by the way. The second was at Cresswell Pool in Northumberland in winter, in 2003. Water Pipits breed on mountainous areas and are a winter visitor to the UK. In summer they have a pinkish tinge to the breast. If I were to find one tomorrow I think I have it well sussed, given a half decent view. Paler and browner above, whiter and more distinct streaks below. Pure white on the outer tail feathers and clearer white wing bars. With birds like this, of course calls and habitat play a big part in identification. I have seen many Rock pipits recently so have them well and trully sussed too.

Baz... hope you manage to get up this way. You never know we might bump into one another.

Best Wishes

Last edited:
brianfm said:
Thank you for your very warm comments. I was just thinking over the past couple of days whether or not I should give my reports a rest. I read your comments this morning and decided that even if only a few are getting some pleasure from reading them I shall continue.
Good!!! :clap:
I for one love to read all about your trips in my 2nd favourite place in the country!!! ;)
Best wishes,

If I find a Water Pipit tomorrow in the weather that is predicted I will be very lucky indeed! If I don't get back on here, one of you Yorkshire guys please try and get my hat as it floats past Bempton Cliffs. Chris 3871 can have it! ;) Bye Bye.

brianfm said:
........I was just thinking over the past couple of days whether or not I should give my reports a rest.......

No don't do that Brian! I also enjoy reading them and learn from them too. I haven't always got something to say but still enjoy reading them! Look forward to your next outing. :t:

Don't you DARE stop your reports - I love reading them! Makes me realise what I'm dipping out on!!! ;)

Well, today may be a bit better than you originally thought Brian - it's 8.58am and outside is clear blue skies with not a breath of wind - perfect weather :clap:

I've got to pop down to Ashington with Neil this morning but hoping to take a detour via Linton Pond for the Richardson's Canada Goose ;) It's the least hubby can do bearing in mind the fact I was going to have a full day's birding and now have to change my plans!!! :-C

Like the sound of those Scoters - I must get up there sometime this week....and keep my eyes peeled and fingers crossed!

Please, please do continue Brian, as you take me on journeys to places I'll probably never go, and enable me to see birds, most of which I'll never see. So you see what you'll be depriving me of if you stop your delightful reports!!

Judo said:
Please, please do continue Brian, as you take me on journeys to places I'll probably never go, and enable me to see birds, most of which I'll never see. So you see what you'll be depriving me of if you stop your delightful reports!!

Oh go on then you have twisted my arm. Another report coming tomorrow! lol ;)

As you can see I got back. Sorry Chris I need the hat. Actually, as Gill has suggested the forecast was so wrong. A very nice day. Pity Mabel and Gill were not there as great views of 10+ Velvet Scoters. More anon.

brianfm said:
Pity Mabel and Gill were not there as great views of 10+ Velvet Scoters.

ARGHHhhhhh just torture me |^| I'd love to see Velvet Scoters!!! Methinks a couple of days in Edinburgh is in order soon so I can get myself along to the Musselburgh area! I've still got a week to take before April and was planning on early/mid-February depending on Neil's work rota.

I 'think' I actually saw a couple of Velvet Scoters in March 2003 at Musselburgh but am not 100% sure as the sea WAS very choppy, I was using a rubbish scope with absolutely no light-gathering ability and I didn't have my Collins guide with me to compare them with Commons. I am, however, 99.9% sure that I did see white on the head and flank so am pretty certain they WERE Velvets........but as I can't be 100% then they didn't make it on to my Life List. I've often promised myself a trip up there once more to see if I can pick them up again.........though do I really need to go so far? I'm sure it was you Brian who mentioned seeing them on the Northumberland coastline last week!

I think these darned birds are going to be one of my main Must-sees of 2007!!! ;) *after Red Grouse of course LOL*

Gill Osborne said:
ARGHHhhhhh just torture me |^| I'd love to see Velvet Scoters!!! Methinks a couple of days in Edinburgh is in order soon so I can get myself along to the Musselburgh area! I've still got a week to take before April and was planning on early/mid-February depending on Neil's work rota.

I 'think' I actually saw a couple of Velvet Scoters in March 2003 at Musselburgh but am not 100% sure as the sea WAS very choppy, I was using a rubbish scope with absolutely no light-gathering ability and I didn't have my Collins guide with me to compare them with Commons. I am, however, 99.9% sure that I did see white on the head and flank so am pretty certain they WERE Velvets........but as I can't be 100% then they didn't make it on to my Life List. I've often promised myself a trip up there once more to see if I can pick them up again.........though do I really need to go so far? I'm sure it was you Brian who mentioned seeing them on the Northumberland coastline last week!

I think these darned birds are going to be one of my main Must-sees of 2007!!! ;) *after Red Grouse of course LOL*

Yes Gill. 3 Velvet Scoters on sea at Low Newton on Wed. I must say the ones seen at both Musselburgh then Aberlady yesterday have been my best sightings of them ever. You should have come. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back