• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron 150–500mm F5–6.7 Di III VC VXD (1 Viewer)

DRodrigues

See DPreview
I had reduced my "dilemma" to choose between the Sony FE 200-600mm and a super-zoom for video.
Nice to have another option since I had decided to wait for the summer to do my next purchase - meanwhile I expect some Tamron reviews, although I think it competes more with the Sony FE 100-400...
I had decided for the FE200-600mm against the FE100-400 since I want the maximum reach and the cost was lower. The new Tamron falls between the 2 Sonys regarding to reach, has dimensions similar to the smaller Sony and expected cost more reduced than the 200-600mm...:unsure:
I'm curious to know if it will it work with the Sonys teleconverters - the Tamron with a Sony teleconverter would cost about a FE200-600...;)

An interesting offering - relatively compact, though weighing in at 1720g + 156g for the tripod mount (1876g total).

The similarly sized Canon 100-500 f4.5 -f7.1 weighs in at 1365g, though is a third stop faster on the even wider end, and a third stop slower on the long end. This is also similar to the 2/3rd faster long end stop Sony 100-400 f4.5-f5.6 GM at 1395g.

It seems that Tamron regularly loses focal range on their zooms when converting to the Sony E mount.
eg their CaNikon DSLR compatible 15-30 f2.8 became 17-28 f2.8 on the Sony. Likewise the 24-70 f2.8 became 28-75 f2.8 on the Sony. They seem to be aiming for smaller, lighter, near equivalents. It probably helps to expand the range on the Sony platform that they hold a minor shareholding in Tamron !

Chosun 🙆

Last edited:
I have the tamron 150-500 and love the compact form of this lens and is so sharp.
In Costa Rica the 200-600 was out stock so I pruchase the tamron, and cero regrets

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back