• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tawny Owl confirmation (Pic) (1 Viewer)

Forkbeard

I'm not good with owls, it's the first one I've ever seen in wild! Can someone confirm this for me please (or put me right if I'm wildly wrong)?

Last edited:
I'm not good with owls, it's the first one I've ever seen in wild! Can someone confirm this for me please (or put me right if I'm wildly wrong)?

Hi Forkbeard,
A great shot; where was it taken and when? Orgreave or Silverwood perhaps?? Are you aware that there is birding help on hand nearer to home via the SBSG (Sheffield Bird Study Group)? Lots of info on local birds/birding, local field meetings and a comprehensive 'recent news' page that you can contribute to.

Give it a try at: http://www.sbsg.org/

RB

Definitely a SEO (among other things, a Tawny has all-dark eyes). A nice find - SEOs are quite a lot less common than Tawnies. Tawnies are much harder to see, though, as they hunt after dark, but are very common in north Sheffield in most woodland. The best chance of seeing a Tawny Owl is listening out for Blackbirds, Jays or other birds going crazy for no reason when you're walking through woodland. If you follow the sound, there's a chance they're mobbing a roosting Tawny in a tree. Otherwise keep your eyes open when driving at night in wooded areas as they can fly across the road (I've seen one twice in the rural roads behind Sainsburys at Wadsley Bridge recently).

Last edited:
Have had several owl sightings recently - staking out the owl box at Blacktoft Sands I've snapped the barnie there a few times, and yesterday I had a SEO fly past the hide in the evening.
To cap those, I was driving home to North Leeds the other night when a tawny flew across the road and dived into as hedge on the side of the Sheepscar intersection.

Hi Forkbeard,
A great shot; where was it taken and when? Orgreave or Silverwood perhaps?? Are you aware that there is birding help on hand nearer to home via the SBSG (Sheffield Bird Study Group)? Lots of info on local birds/birding, local field meetings and a comprehensive 'recent news' page that you can contribute to.

Give it a try at: http://www.sbsg.org/

RB

Sorry RB, I thought I'd replied. It was at orgreave. I have heard of the sbsg but haven't had a good look at their website yet really so I don't know much about them.

Sorry RB, I thought I'd replied. It was at orgreave. I have heard of the sbsg but haven't had a good look at their website yet really so I don't know much about them.

If you're serious about learning about the birds in your area, you really need to check out the local information networks... Having a scan at the recent sightings there will give you a good idea of the kind of things you can expect to see, when and where.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back