• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taxonomic limits (1 Viewer)

From the Conclusions:

"If it is accepted that ‘the designation of subspecies on the basis of arbitrary divisions of clinal character variation is not warranted by today’s standards’ (James 2010), and if that same standard applies to the designation of species, then analyses that are used to assess taxonomic limits should be equally independent of clinal variation. Furthermore, if many modern assessments of taxonomic limits do not adequately account for clinal variation, then it seems very likely that older assessments, from which we inherit the great majority of the taxonomic names and concepts currently in use, were even less stringent in this regard. The aim of this note is to remind readers of the prevalence of multiple, intercorrelated intraspecific patterns in nature, some of them first recognized well over a century ago, and to highlight some of the problems that might arise, and the opportunities that may be lost, if these are not quantitatively assessed." (My underlining)

It appears that much re-evaluation of earlier work could be called for.

The paper is tightly argued and would require someone with much more professional knowledge than I have to summarise it.
MJB
James, FC. 2010. Avian subspecies: Introduction. Ornithol. Monogr. 67: 1–5.

From the Conclusions:

"If it is accepted that ‘the designation of subspecies on the basis of arbitrary divisions of clinal character variation is not warranted by today’s standards’ (James 2010), and if that same standard applies to the designation of species, then analyses that are used to assess taxonomic limits should be equally independent of clinal variation. Furthermore, if many modern assessments of taxonomic limits do not adequately account for clinal variation, then it seems very likely that older assessments, from which we inherit the great majority of the taxonomic names and concepts currently in use, were even less stringent in this regard. The aim of this note is to remind readers of the prevalence of multiple, intercorrelated intraspecific patterns in nature, some of them first recognized well over a century ago, and to highlight some of the problems that might arise, and the opportunities that may be lost, if these are not quantitatively assessed." (My underlining)

It appears that much re-evaluation of earlier work could be called for.

The paper is tightly argued and would require someone with much more professional knowledge than I have to summarise it.
MJB
James, FC. 2010. Avian subspecies: Introduction. Ornithol. Monogr. 67: 1–5.
I wanted to know the tie (or an other word with the same meaning) with the columbidae 😅

I wanted to know the tie (or an other word with the same meaning) with the columbidae 😅
The original proverb is 'To put a cat among the pigeons'; amongst its meanings is 'to cause fierce argument or discussion by doing or saying something'. The earliest the expression appeared was in "J. Stevens 's New Spanish and English Dictionary ( 1706 ), where it is explained as referring to a man coming into the company of a group of women. The idiom flutter the dovecotes (see flutter) is based on the same idea of a group of pigeons as a tranquil or harmless community." (Source thefreedictionary.com)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back