• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TC question: sigma or kenko? (1 Viewer)

which ever way you go make sure (unless you find someone who can confirm online) that you test the teleconverter in the shop before you buy because they do not fit all lenses.

I have never tried Kenko teleconverters but I can say that I am more than pleased with the Sigma line - and that they do hold up to quality with the canon line of TCs (L quality)

I've tried the Kenko 1.4tc with the older non AF-S version of this lens. Whilst many people rave about this combination I've never been happy with it. To be fair, on a fairly close subject in good light it can be used reasonably successful but nfortunately it seems extremely prone to internal lens flare on the older lens.

If you've going to use a TC and you've got one of the newer 300/4's the Nikon 1.4tc is a better option.

Please be aware if you can afford to upgrade to a D300 (or D80 replacement) you'll get better results by cropping than by adding a Kenko or Sigma 1.4TC.

For more info

Sigma 150 - 500 + Kenko 1.4 Tele + Canon 40d

Hi all
Can anyone give me as to the best way to make the above rig work in AF servo mode?
I read somewhere about taping sensors but don't have a clue what this means.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Mick

Hi all
Can anyone give me as to the best way to make the above rig work in AF servo mode?
I read somewhere about taping sensors but don't have a clue what this means.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Mick

With the teleconverter flat on a table and the lens side facing upwards with the contacts at 12 o'clock it's the three left pins that need taping - for photos see this link

Nikkor 300 f4 with TC, who is better: sigma or kenko?

Make sure the Kenko is the Pro 300 line or choose the Tamron which is a rebadged Kenko Pro 300. For the Nikkor 300 f4, I'd go with Nikon, Kenko Pro300 or Tamron over the Sigma.

That said, I use the Sigma with my Sigma 150 f2.8 Macro and it does a super job. From personal experience and others, I think Sigma converters do better on Sigma lenses, whilst the others seem to be better on Nikkors.

The non-Pro300 series should be avoided as well as any 2x or 3x converter. Nikon's 1.7 works fairly well if you stop down a bit. Other than that, stick only to 1.4 converters.

2* teleconverters can work well - but tend to only deliver really good results with a top end prime and a good end camera body as well - a canon 300mm f2.8+2*teleconverter is many a persons cheap (and handholdable 600mm lens ;))
Also a 2* (sigma) works well on a 150mm macro - though your depth of field is razor fine its a hard combo to use handheld and needs a good angle on the subject to get a good shot.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/overmind_2000/my works/yorkshire 2/IMG_1269.jpg
pretty much me best effort with that combo - and that was taken handheld leaning on the tree he was sitting on

2* teleconverters are tricky beasts to master using - 1.4 though are as easy to use as falling off a log

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back