• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TC used with a 500mmPF (1 Viewer)

shrek48

HI all,
As I am now getting a D500 & Nikon 500mmPF, I am wondering about a TC, would I need one, what effect would the TC, say a nikon 1.4 iii have on the AF etc ?
TIA

HI all,
As I am now getting a D500 & Nikon 500mmPF, I am wondering about a TC, would I need one, what effect would the TC, say a nikon 1.4 iii have on the AF etc ?
TIA

AF will work but will be slower, especially in less good light.

f8 instead of f5.6 means one step slower shutter speed or more image noise.

The longer focal length with TC increase the risk of shake (VR will have a more difficult job).

Including the D500 DX crop factor (1.5x) you already have 750mm focal length,
which to me seems like good starting point for bird photography.

TC:s can be useful in some situations,
but if buying a nice and sharp lens with fast AF,
I wouldn't put a TC on it the first thing I do... :)

Last edited:
AF will work but will be slower, especially in less good light.

f8 instead of f5.6 means one step slower shutter speed or more image noise.

The longer focal length with TC increase the risk of shake (VR will have a more difficult job).

Including the D500 DX crop factor (1.5x) you already have 750mm focal length,
which to me seems like good starting point for bird photography.

TC:s can be useful in some situations,
but if buying a nice and sharp lens with fast AF,
I wouldn't put a TC on it the first thing I do... :)
Thanks once again, a font of all knowledge, thank you. I asked exactly for the reasons you stated, just was not sure, I already use a 150-600 and that is ok for me 90% of the time so the 500mm PF @ 750 should be even better, now u have explained, I think I will get a nikon TC when a bargain pops up and keepi it in my kits just in case ;-)
Awesome thanks ;-)

Be aware though, that a crop factor body does not increase your focal length. That would be an unbelievable miracle of science.

A crop body merely " crops " a photo down, hence the name. Take the same shot, with the same lens, from the same distance, but with a full frame camera body, then crop the image down , and what you get is the image that a crop camera would take using the same lens and same distance from subject.

The only true way to gain focal length is with a teleconverter

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back