• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Temminck's Stint with orange legs (1 Viewer)

melamedon

Israel
I am used to see Temminck's Stints with somewhat dull yellow-greenish legs. Yesterday I saw this individual (marked with a blue arrow) together with a few Little Stints and what surprised me was the bright orange color of the legs. I was wondering how common/unusual this orange leg color is?
Seen at North Israel
Thanks,
DanielIMG_5968.JPG

I am by no means an expert on this but a quick image search of Temmincks shows a fair few photos of birds with orangey legs amongst the greeny majority. Could be a variation but also could have been wading in clay soils and gotten stained?

I think it is a Temminck's too. Long winged and jizz of the bird is correct. Could it be a hybrid with a Least Sandpiper? I have heard of Least SP with orangy legs.

they just haven't had time to get really dirty?
Oh, didn't realise you were serious about this... I can't think of any evidence that it's true. Do you have in mind any other species in which juveniles' bare parts are brighter than adults'? The reverse is normally the case.

Oh, didn't realise you were serious about this... I can't think of any evidence that it's true. Do you have in mind any other species in which juveniles' bare parts are brighter than adults'? The reverse is normally the case.
There are some photos of orange-legged individuals in tbe above link. But the field guides point only to green-yellow or green-gray colors. Anyway, thanks for this interesting discussion.

Doubly in the realms of total fantasy. Take the fantastically easier option... It's an adult Temminck's stint with unusual leg colouring.
Maybe so, but there are more hybrids than we think. Though still rare. F.e. An unusual stint in the Netherlands was initially thought to be that country's first record of the least sandpiper, but showed anomalous features for that species, and was a hybrid between Little stint (Calidris minuta) and Temminck's stint (Calidris temminckii).[8]

Hybrids between dunlin (Calidris alpina) and the white-rumped sandpiper (Calidris fuscicollis) have been occasionally seen in northeastern North America.[9][10] In Europe an apparent hybrid between the dunlin and the purple sandpiper (Calidris maritima) has turned up.[11]

Hybridisation has been reported between the buff-breasted sandpiper (Calidris subruficollis) and the white-rumped sandpiper (or possibly Baird's sandpiper, Calidris bairdii) on multiple occasions in North America

Users who are viewing this thread

Back