• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tennessee Warbler - Wisconsin US (1 Viewer)

I am not convinced it's one or the other from what we can see in the photos. The bill seems to be finer than that of the vireo and the extension of the tail beyond the undertail coverts seems shorter than normally seen in the vireo.

I am not convinced it's one or the other from what we can see in the photos. The bill seems to be finer than that of the vireo and the extension of the tail beyond the undertail coverts seems shorter than normally seen in the vireo.
Agreed. If anything I think it looks more like Tennessee, but I can’t be certain.

Surely the amount of white (above and below the eye) is far in excess for what one might expect from a TW?
Also it appears more attenuated than TW length wise?….plus the bill on WV is slender by vireo standards, thus would suit OP’s image?

Cheers

Certainly not a vireo based on bill shape. While WAVI has a smaller bill than other vireos, it is certainly not finely pointed like this bird. Also the underparts color is not what I would expect for WAVI. Finally, WAVI should not have a distinct, thin eyeline. I really can't see anything here that would exclude Tennessee Warbler.

Certainly not a vireo based on bill shape. While WAVI has a smaller bill than other vireos, it is certainly not finely pointed like this bird. Also the underparts color is not what I would expect for WAVI. Finally, WAVI should not have a distinct, thin eyeline. I really can't see anything here that would exclude Tennessee Warbler.
I agree with all of this except I don’t feel that I could use the word certainly about anything based on photo quality. But from what can be seen I agree with this. The overall shape of the bird is also pretty Tennessee-like and not Warbling Vireo-like in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back