• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (2 Viewers)

Terry forget the tripod, if you want to give your camera a good work out get a couple of loaves of bread and take yourself down to ferry meadows or Eye Green Nature Reserve in Peterborough. Then see what you can get on black-headed gulls. A comparison between the single auto focus point and the central 9 point zone would be very useful. Taking sequences say 20 at a time with each in turn should act as a control. Then let us know your conclusions as to the performance of the 9 point zone compared to the single point.

Terry forget the tripod, if you want to give your camera a good work out get a couple of loaves of bread and take yourself down to ferry meadows or Eye Green Nature Reserve in Peterborough. Then see what you can get on black-headed gulls. A comparison between the single auto focus point and the central 9 point zone would be very useful. Taking sequences say 20 at a time with each in turn should act as a control. Then let us know your conclusions as to the performance of the 9 point zone compared to the single point.

I am not that person, to go out and do these sorts of test, I get bored to quickly, I will leave that to the more experience photographer. In time I will use all the settings on my camera, As its been proved I am useless at testing :eek!: Anyway I can't throw that bread in the air and take photo's at the same time :-O

All I can tell you is this camera is a awesome piece of equipment, with loads of features, which I need to learn.

Terry, it is of course your choice to test and use your camera however you wish :)

That said, I do find it useful to use gulls and the like for my own practice. Quite honestly I am pretty poor at BIF and I need the practice. Gulls and terns seem to be the more obliging fellows, regularly taking to the air and making fairly easy targets. On Saturday I popped over to the local country park, which has a lake, and plenty of families with kids coming over to feed the birds. I just camped out for an hour and let others do the bird feeding while I concentrated on my tracking practice. I fired off around 200 frames, some of which you can see in this post - http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1618852&postcount=27

I did try out the zone 9 focus points on a group of ducks flying reasonably quickly took about 6 or seven shots and they were all in focus, no good for web use but at least its encouraging. If I had been using centre point focus don't think they would all be in focus

There have been some 7d camera's with a AF problem on the dpreview forum mine is OK.

I don't bother with DPR nowadays. Do these sound like real problems or just people who don't know how to work their camera? One of the reasons I gave up with DPR was the sheer number of people posting shots taken at 1/30s, 200mm and complaining about blur.

well the weather was not good but had to try a shot :) no inflights though .
First impressions are the 7d is very responsive and the reach is amazing i think this may well be the camera i use more than my mk3 when you carnt get close .
very happy with it . shots just to show the range/crop
7d 500f4isL 1/1000sec f4 iso 500 full frame and 50% crop
Rob.

Attachments

• 7D2.jpg
    7D2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 7d3.jpg
    7d3.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 205
I am thinking about getting Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 8 & Adobe Premiere® Elements 8 software they sell them as a pair, I suppose cheaper. APhotoE8 For use with stills which would be a update to my APhotoE6 and the APremE8 would be used for movies would this be the right way to go, cannot afford CS4 thats the price of a L lens.

Last edited:
For those of you with a 7D THIS is something to look out for.

It really isn't very impressive.
Canon don't appear to have learnt from the mkIII shambles or care about releasing cameras with faults.
The attitude seems to be, get the money in from the mug punters, fix the faults, eventually, and stuff the consequences.
And don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the buyer, I'm one of the mug punters who bought an early mkIII and a G10 which is also subject to a recall.

For those of you with a 7D THIS is something to look out for.

I commend Canon for coming out with this statement so early, and no doubt as they have said a firmware update will fix it.

I must say that all the updates I applied to the 50d I never had any of the problems that the firmware update was fixing, and I have not seen this phenomenon in the 7d. As far as I know this fault had not been mentioned on any of the forums.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back