• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Big Year Bins (1 Viewer)

If "The Big Year" can get 10 people in the theater in Bisbee, Arizona, which has a population of about a third of Lisa's post count, there's hope for the picture to become a big hit despite the film critics.

Unfortunately there are no theaters left in Bisbee. I saw the movie in Sierra Vista which, if you include Fort Huachuca, has a population of about 43,500 or roughly 2x my post count. ;) Not a large city by any means. According to Fandango it is in 9th place for the weekend, at about 3.3 million dollars.

Ready for a Big Year?

http://www.zbirdtours.com/attu/attu_spring2012.htm

Zugunruhe--one of my favorite obscure birding terms. German, meaning something like "travel unrest" or "travel anxiety." It's what the birds have this time of year, even the ones who don't migrate. They all get antsy and start singing weird songs. I love it.

With the strange weather, who knows? Maybe 745 is beatable.

Mark

I saw the movie tonite with the wife, and we both enjoyed it. I'm not a big movie fan
maybe attending 1 movie per year. Our closest town, just opened a new 6 place theatre with the latest in sound and the rest,
and this was a good way to try it out.
The movie is entertaining with the birding competition, great scenery, and a nice story
line. I would recommend it.

Jerry

Looking forward to this movie :t: Really enjoyed the book when I read it a couple of years ago.

That first pic though.....how long are those binocular straps!!!!! :eek!: Only novice dudes wear them THAT long ;) :-O

Looking forward to this movie :t: Really enjoyed the book when I read it a couple of years ago.

That first pic though.....how long are those binocular straps!!!!! :eek!: Only novice dudes wear them THAT long ;) :-O

I thought that, too, but I was out with a pro this summer--one of the lucky dogs Swarovski sent to Extremadura, Spain for the 50mm SV launch--and he was wearing bins that low. I thought, What?? But when we were done birding, he slipped them over a shoulder and wore them bandolier style. I thought, Oh, that's it.

Not my style, but it works for him. This might explain the pic because these guys were on the run--a lot! Bandolier style at least gets the bins out of the way while sprinting.

Greg Miller (Jack Black's character) was a birding consultant on the film, so I assume he would have caught anything totally amiss.

Then too, maybe the studio decided to downplay the bins by keeping them low, although Jack Black wears his reasonably high, and is seen sprinting through the woods with bins bouncing all to heck and back.

By the way, the movie did not do well at the box office so if you want to see it in a theater, don't procrastinate. I think it's worth it, but of course...I Like Birds.

Mark

Movie was excellent! I actually saw it with a slew of Maryland birders INCLUDING Greg Miller! Don't know the guy personally, but it was cool to share a theater with him on his movie!

I thought that, too, but I was out with a pro this summer--one of the lucky dogs Swarovski sent to Extremadura, Spain for the 50mm SV launch--and he was wearing bins that low. I thought, What?? But when we were done birding, he slipped them over a shoulder and wore them bandolier style. I thought, Oh, that's it.
I do that but only after it gets heavy or the pair is heavy to start with. Two pairs over two shoulders, tried it once, too many tangles.

I haven't been following this very closely but I just saw a 5 minute ad for the movie on the FOX Movie Channel after my wife got through watching the last featured show. The 3 actors were interviewed. My first impression was that 2 of the characters had both excess money and time and were doing something to kill their boredom. The one played by Jack Black seemed to be there to portray the average guy. I imagine that it worked out that way in the movie.

I don't know if the ad will help the movie sales in this economy. There were shots of trips taken on helicopters to birding sites, riding air boats, and on a chartered fishing boat. The overall impression the ad gave was one of conflating competitive bird watching as an avocation of the leisure class with the simple recreation of bird watching. It is likely to confuse the non-birding viewing public.

Bob

I haven't been following this very closely but I just saw a 5 minute ad for the movie on the FOX Movie Channel after my wife got through watching the last featured show. The 3 actors were interviewed. My first impression was that 2 of the characters had both excess money and time and were doing something to kill their boredom. The one played by Jack Black seemed to be there to portray the average guy. I imagine that it worked out that way in the movie.

I don't know if the ad will help the movie sales in this economy. There were shots of trips taken on helicopters to birding sites, riding air boats, and on a chartered fishing boat. The overall impression the ad gave was one of conflating competitive bird watching as an avocation of the leisure class with the simple recreation of bird watching. It is likely to confuse the non-birding viewing public.

Bob

I doubt it will confuse the non-birding public--because they're probably never going to see it. ;)

Sandy Komito, the guy who set the record, says he spent ~$120,000 for the year. The average golfer will probably spend a lot more than that over the course of a lifetime, and that too is just a hobby. Boredom had as much to do with it as any other hobby turned competitive I suppose... i.e. nothing to do with it. Unless you think golf, basketball, skiing, mountain climbing, etc., etc., are all just ways to kill boredom too.

A Big Year is, for most, a once in a lifetime thing. Komito is one of the very few to do it twice. He's in his 80's now and says he could never pull it off again. Personally, I would not even be remotely interested in trying it, but I wouldn't exactly hold it against anyone if they did.

Most birders wind up with a few lists eventually, and many of them, even the least competitive, wind up on a pelagic or two. I hope to go on one in January, combining birding with whale watching off the California coast. But my favorite list is my own yard list, that is only the birds I've seen while standing in my yard: 82. That's where I used to live. My new place is only up to 46 or something.

Mark

PS: I was just researching pelagics and ran across a guy named John Vanderpoel who's doing a Big Year and currently has 728! Looks like that record will fall someday after all.

Last edited:
I saw “The Big Year” on Sunday afternoon. Since it was the first sunny and mild day we’ve had in three weeks, and only the second such day we’ve had on the weekend since the Big Sit on Oct. 9, I was torn between birding some more and paying $3 extra for the night show or going to the early show. Since I had already purchased the early show ticket in advance, I embraced my inner cheapskate and went to the early movie. The reported eared grebe in my county that I was hoping to add to my Life List yesterday will have to wait for next year.

There were 11 people in the theater. Two tweens entered the theater with a thirtysomething couple, but the other seven moviegoers were all “silver panthers”. Interestingly, at the end of the flick when they rolled the credits and flashed photos of the 751 birds spotted by Bostick in the movie (or at least the species of birds), the girls and their parents left but the rest of us stayed until every bird was shown. The Magnificent Seven had to be birders because they weren’t staying to read the names of the “Best Boy” or “Key Grip” or “Costume Designer”!

While the comedy/adventure was not a laugh a minute, as some might have expected, given the three leading “funny men,” I thought the movie was entertaining as well as educational.

I found it curious if unlikely that none of the three competing birders carried a spotting scope. Other birders did, but not these three, they always managed to get within fairly close rang to ID the bird with binoculars.

The scene where a fellow birder ID’d a bird by his call and Bostick (Owen Wilson) insisted on confirming it since the birder himself was making bird calls put to rest concerns by the other two competitors, Stu Preissler and Brad Harris (played by Steve Martin and Jack Black respectively), that Bostick might be cheating.

Knowing how much being #1 meant to Bostick and how clever he was at distracting his fellow birders and keeping secret that he was going for another "Big Year," I wondered if this was merely another distraction for his competitor’s sake and that he would do anything including cheat to keep his title. But perhaps not. Being the best birder wouldn't be as meaningful if it wasn't won fairly. Still, I had my doubts about him. Ambition can be "blind".

Since the contest employs the honor system, no-one but the birders themselves will ever know how many birds they actually saw (or heard, for the contest, identifying a bird by call is as good as a visual ID), which brings us to the ”moral tale”.

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD....

In the end, Bostick traveled the world and broke his own record, but he lost his wife (forgot if she was his third or fourth wife) and his chance at making a real life legacy by creating a baby in her fertility-drug loaded womb. Being a well to do contractor, I wondered why he also didn’t lose his business. He had people working for him, but unlike the other two characters we didn’t see what was going at his business while he was gone. Instead, we saw a competing contractor making renovations to his house, which his wife hired just to bust his chops.

The second place (Harris/Black) and fourth place (Preissler/Martin) winners fared better in their home lives than Bostick. Black won over the girl birder he liked, and Martin’s daughter-in-law had a boy, who they named “Stewart” after him. Martin got the “legacy” he was seeking in his grandson instead of winning the “Big Year” or in becoming CEO of the company he founded, which other execs we’re trying to twist his arm into doing. I half expected him to click his heels together and repeat... there's no place like home.... there's no place like home...

Besides Black not having a mate to long for at home like his two competitors after the three watched two eagles hold talons in a beautifully photographed freefall (if it was CGI, it was damn good), the other subplot that underpinned Black’s character was his relationship with his father, played by Brian Dennehy- good casting, Black even looks like Dennehy (who no doubt also likes to eat the largest piece of chocolate cake :).

His father’s brush with mortality after a heart attack caused him to embrace his son’s ambition to be the best birder in the world rather than continue to put him down as a “slacker” who at 36 couldn’t keep his marriage together or stay at one job for the rest of his life as he had done.

There was a touching if not saccharin moment btwn them where Black realizes his father is more important to him than chasing the next bird and turns back on a snowy path to look for his father who is toting an oxygen tank and finds him looking at the snowy owl he was chasing. What made it saccharin for me was the CGI owl. Too “ET”.

I also liked the bit where a Brit birder sees the three competitors rushing to catch a glimpse of another bird to add to their Big Year list and says, “Americans, they even have to make birding into a competition”. If I had written the screenplay, I would have had him use the word “Yanks”. It has a more derogatory tone. Seemed like a comment on American vs. British attitudes toward birding.

In some ways the story was typical Hollywood fare, the underdog pitted against the "Champ," ("Rocky" but with birds :), but it was more interesting visually.

The rare birds and the remote vistas, the storms and blizzard and “The Birds” shots of thousands of migrating birds in flight (probably CGI). Lots of “eye candy” in the movie including Rashida Jones from “The Office”. :)

I can imagine how a non-birder might see this (if indeed any will see it as Bob suspects won’t happen) and might think all birders are cuckoos, but are they any different than those who “live to hunt” like a former neighbor who spent every free moment out in the woods tracking deer (even analyzing their feces) and target practicing?

Or how about gamers who have to get the latest X-box version and latest game out? Or amateur astronomers who drive to remote locations and stay up all night to do Messier Marathons? Or stamp collectors who if they had the money would pay $825,000 for an “Inverted Jenny”?

I don’t have the wherewithal, ambition, or skill to go for a “Big Year,” but the movie did boost my interest in birding or at least in “birdwatching”. As I learned in the movie, you don’t call a serious amateur a “birdwatcher”.

The “Big Sit” earlier this month also sparked my interest. When I left I told the group that what I had learned was that the ability to recognize bird calls was as important as learning to visually identify the birds.

Contrary to the movie, the Big Sit made me realize that a scope is not an option but an essential tool if you want to get serious about keeping a Life List.

Birds are tiny creatures and 8x or even 10x doesn’t always cut it for making an ID or for seeing satisfying detail of birds of prey riding the thermals on the ridges or small, shy birds who won’t let you get close (unlike that friendly CGI Snowy Owl) and force you to traipse for miles through the woods to see them with binoculars. Too much work for me. I’ll leave that to Bostick, Harris and Preissler. :)

Brock

Last edited:
My wife and I also saw the movie Sunday afternoon. It's pretty entertaining. Anyone who's interested in birds should check it out. As far as birds go, they got most of it right. The only thing that bothered me is that they couldn't make flying songbirds and drumming woodpecks look real.

Did anyone notice that they put the Common Nighthawk with the "Hawks" at the end of the movie. I felt like such a nerd when I noticed it.

Brock:

Nice review of the movie, I agree with your findings, and I liked it also, they
have got it right.
These guys did not have time for scopes, but were on the run, and just wanted a
quick view to score.

I do not have experience but you could probably post this well thought out review on
some other sites. Well done.

Jerry

My wife and I also saw the movie Sunday afternoon. It's pretty entertaining. Anyone who's interested in birds should check it out. As far as birds go, they got most of it right. The only thing that bothered me is that they couldn't make flying songbirds and drumming woodpecks look real.

Did anyone notice that they put the Common Nighthawk with the "Hawks" at the end of the movie. I felt like such a nerd when I noticed it.

I missed the Nighthawk because I was waiting for the song credits. Another nice song, though, the one they played over those closing-credit birds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYxK8GK7O_w

The computerized Great Spotted Woodpecker was indeed a disappointment. Plus, it's only been seen 7 times (the most recent info I have on hand) and that was in Alaska, in winter. The scene in the movie was definitely not in Alaska, and NOT in winter.

Brock, that was a Great Gray not a Snowy, and come to think of it they do look a bit like ET.

But, as the opening credits proclaim: only the facts have been changed.

OK, if you're a birder a little "willing suspension of disbelief" is in order. I was willing, and I did suspend.

Check out Vanderpoel's blog. He gets photos of quite a few of the birds and generally has a companion along to back things up. He says he was waiting 20 years to do a Big Year. He should break 731 easily (current 2nd place) but I'm afraid he won't break 745 without an act of God. I hope I'm wrong.

Nice review, Brock. Yes, a scope is nice, but lugging the big ones around is a pain. Maybe I'll sell my 8x32 SE and get the Nikon ED 50 for travel.

Mark

Last edited:
But my favorite list is my own yard list, that is only the birds I've seen while standing in my yard: 82. That's where I used to live. My new place is only up to 46 or something.

Mark,

This seems to be my soul interest as well. Even though I've seen oodles of birds around the world, I'd be hard pressed to remember many of them with much detail or special affection (save for perhaps a Lammergeier the size of a Cessna in the Himalayas)......

I suppose at the moment I'm just fascinated by birds that manage to eek out a living in this harsh Grassy Box Woodland ecosystem, having seen 130+ here (50 species present in the last two days alone.....) and there's still nearly 100 possibilities, even if I deduct the magnificent Brolga that's theoretically meant to be nowhere near here!

The thought of doing a Big Year with less than my ideal of perfect equipment (bino's /camera's currently being overpriced, overweight, And no sexy 3-D porro view to boot!) just absolutely annoys the livin' bejeezus outta me!!

The filum sounds interesting, and something I wouldn't mind catching, should I ever lob in one o'them thar big smoke towns with them new fangdangled filum theatres......

Chosun :cat:

Thats the thing about infinity......its always at least 1 more than you can imagine......

I missed the Nighthawk because I was waiting for the song credits. Another nice song, though, the one they played over those closing-credit birds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYxK8GK7O_w

The computerized Great Spotted Woodpecker was indeed a disappointment. Plus, it's only been seen 7 times (the most recent info I have on hand) and that was in Alaska, in winter. The scene in the movie was definitely not in Alaska, and NOT in winter.

Brock, that was a Great Gray not a Snowy, and come to think of it they do look a bit like ET.

But, as the opening credits proclaim: only the facts have been changed.

OK, if you're a birder a little "willing suspension of disbelief" is in order. I was willing, and I did suspend.

Check out Vanderpoel's blog. He gets photos of quite a few of the birds and generally has a companion along to back things up. He says he was waiting 20 years to do a Big Year. He should break 731 easily (current 2nd place) but I'm afraid he won't break 745 without an act of God. I hope I'm wrong.

Nice review, Brock. Yes, a scope is nice, but lugging the big ones around is a pain. Maybe I'll sell my 8x32 SE and get the Nikon ED 50 for travel.

Mark

Thanks, it was a Great Gray CGI in the father and son scene. There was a Snowy Owl somewhere in the film, forget where, hard to keep track with the numerous "set" changes, and not having read the book. I stopped in at B&N and noticed the latest edition of the book has the same promo cover as the poster for the movie. Cross promotion.

I wonder how many locations in the movie where "real" or filmed at the actual locations. For example, someone mentioned that the remote island in the Aleutians was no longer accessible. So they had to film that someplace else.

It's an expensive proposition to fly the actors, the director and the crew to a remote location for a 20-30 second scene. There was one short scene in particular that I was suspicious about. Bostick was talking to his wife on his cell and she asked him if the location he was at was beautiful, and he complained that it was dusty and such and the camera pulls back to show a beautiful vista. They could have filmed that vista and stuck him in the scene electronically for all the interaction he had with it.

Of course, I think this was also a comment on the fact that he was running around the world to spot these birds while ignoring their surroundings, which most other people would find breathtaking but for him was a merely a means to an end.

I had a similar objection to doing Messier Marathons. I have no desire to jump from DSO to DSO for the sake of a quick ID.

If I'm going to drive to an hour or more dark site and I see an "M" object I find interesting, I want to spend more time looking at it with various EPs and filters than merely posting it in my log book, and submitting my list to the Astronomical League so I can get my Messier Club certificate and hang it on my wall. I'll also want to spend some time scanning the skies with my binoculars.

Same with birds. I can understand when you're participating in a bird count and ID is all you want, visually or by its song, but otherwise, I want to actually SEE the bird as close as possible and watch its behavior.

People like watching birds as opposed to cows because they're beautiful and don't have snot running out of their noses. -:).

Birding behavior is also interesting to study. I can't see doing quick IDs just to rack up the numbers on my Life List (if I had a Life List -:).

If I could afford to travel to remote locations to bird, I wouldn't want to rush it. I'd like to vacation in Hawaii or Nova Scotia or wherever I go birding and take in the sights and the local culture and cuisine.

To me, the craziest part of the Big Year was flying to remote locations, spotting as many exotic birds as you could, and then flying off to the next spot w/out staying long enough to enjoy the scenery and local "color".

Yes, some things in the movie require a suspension of belief, and even though I am a "big picture" guy, I like when they get the basic details right.

For example, even though the Big Year is done under the honor system, there must be some documentation required. I don't imagine you can just call in your final number. The book probably explains the process, but the movie never did.

When you do a Messier Marathon, you have to visually observe 70 Messier objects and keep a record of your observations. Your notes must include:
a. Date of observation;
b. Time of observation;
c. Seeing conditions;
d. Aperture size of telescope;
e. Power used;
f. A short description of the Messier object.

Rule 2:

Have your notebook or record examined by an officer of your club or a suitably qualified second party if you are not a member of a club and have this party forward a letter to the effect that you have made the necessary number of observations.

Rule 3:

When you have observed the balance of the Messier Objects, have your notebook or records examined again and a letter forwarded to Astronomical League again, indicating that you have completed the observations of the Messier Catalog. You will receive an award pin and a Honorary membership certificate signed by the current President of the League.

The three birders knew their counts, but I never saw them writing anything in a log book. There must be some documentation required for a Big Year even if it's on the honor system.

So yeah, it's a movie and it's about entertainment, but it would have been nice to see them documenting their sightings and to know a little about what they were required to record and then perhaps near the end shots of them mailing the documentation or submitting the information online. It's small details like this that make the movie more believable for me. That would have also heightened the suspense for when the announcements were finally made.

Brock

The three birders knew their counts, but I never saw them writing anything in a log book. There must be some documentation required for a Big Year even if it's on the honor system.

So yeah, it's a movie and it's about entertainment, but it would have been nice to see them documenting their sightings and to know a little about what they were required to record and then perhaps near the end shots of them mailing the documentation or submitting the information online. It's small details like this that make the movie more believable for me. That would have also heightened the suspense for when the announcements were finally made.

Brock

There really isn't much documentation required. Sure, they probably used paper or electronic checklists to keep track at the end of each day, but the final submission isn't very involved. It's just a report of the total numbers, based on the ABA checklist. You're also supposed to conform to the ABA code of ethics while birding. I you, or anyone reading this in NA is interested in competitive listing (and other aspects of birding), consider joining the American Birding Association, or have a look at the annual list reports http://www.aba.org/bigday/. I'm one of those who mourns the decline of ABA over the past decade or so (and especially the magazine--Birding) as a hard-core birding and listing-focused (very detailed ID and detailed travel destination articles) organization, but even in its anemic present form it is the most birding-oriented organization in the continental USA and Canada.

--AP

Last edited:
In the movie, Jack Black actually peeks at Steve Martin's logbook to find his current number, but I'm not sure watching the characters checking their watches and scribbling in notebooks would add much to the cinematic experience.

Vanderpoel is doing a remarkable job documenting his big year. He generally has experienced birders with him, he gets photos of a lot of the birds, and he blogs about it. I'm sure he has log books as well.

Two days ago he saw McKay's Bunting (729) in Nome, Alaska and he posted the photos. He has also posted photos of iffy ID's in order to solicit additional expert opinion.

I haven't had a chance to read much of the blog yet, but it is really quite good considering the circumstances. I think he's travelling with a long-lens DSLR instead of of a spotting scope. Smart move, really: ID and document simultaneously.

Apparently there's a second guy doing a big year, someone named Steneger from Ohio.

Mark

I can imagine how a non-birder might see this (if indeed any will see it as Bob suspects won’t happen) and might think all birders are cuckoos, but are they any different than those who “live to hunt” like a former neighbor who spent every free moment out in the woods tracking deer (even analyzing their feces) and target practicing?

Or how about gamers who have to get the latest X-box version and latest game out? Or amateur astronomers who drive to remote locations and stay up all night to do Messier Marathons? Or stamp collectors who if they had the money would pay $825,000 for an “Inverted Jenny”?

Brock

And there are lots of people who revel in observing, usually on T.V., other people chase a ball around a field for an hour or two on Saturdays, in order to kick it between two sticks more times than the other guys....weird!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back