• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The bird garden. Tony Soper (1 Viewer)

Cashie

Hello folks
United Kingdom
What ever happend to Tony Soper? he use to do a british bird programe, i think it was on BBC 2, a brilliant programe too, why do they stop these great shows.?

:clap:

Last edited:
Yep, he played a big part in myself becoming interested in birds... my first bird book, given to me by my elderly neighbour when I was 7, was the Bird Table Book (first edition 1965). Not sure how old Tony Soper is, but maybe he's enjoying the quiet life.
cheers,
Andy

I've got a copy of his book 'Wildlife Begins at Home' autographed at a RSPB event at Leicester in the 1970's.

I taped a series he did on the TV on all aspects of birdwatching several years ago - he twitched the Wood Thrush on the Scillies in the first programme!!

As Andy indicates, he's probably birding on his 'bus-pass' nowadays!

If you put his name into Google Image Search it comes up with a few things like expedition stuff he appears to be involved in and a bird site that's under development.
The Bluetit

If you get a copy of Wild Bird News by Jacobi Jayne & co, it has a forward by Tony. No-one remembers him when I've said his name. I got his autograph at a book signing in York in the late 70's (bit faded now, it was on the flyer advertising the book signing)

Glad others remember him, wonder what he's upto?

Cashie said:
What ever happend to Tony Soaper? he use to do a british bird programe, i think it was on BBC 2, a brilliant programe too, why do they stop these great shows.?

This really got me wondering and this is what I have found out about Tony. Not sitting with his slippers on enjoying his retirement but leading expeditions!

http://www.quarkexpeditions.com/expedstaff/index.shtml

Tony Soper
Ornithologist and Expedition Leader

http://www.quarkexpeditions.com/imgs/p-tonysoper.jpg

"Tony Soper is an avid naturalist and filmmaker who co-founded the BBC's famous Natural History Unit and became its first film producer. As one of Britain's leading ornithologists, he created and presented the live TV programs - Birdwatch, Discovering Birds and the series Beside the Sea as well as the long running environmental series - Nature. He narrates programs for National Geographic, and did Quark's promotional DVD. As a lecturer, he has sailed the seven seas and circled the world three times. He holds the British Yachtmaster's license and is a qualified compressed air, oxygen and hard hat diver."

I'm sure I've seen his name mentioned a few times in adverts in BBC Wildlife etc for those cruises to places like Antarctica - think he does the evening slide shows and stuff?

Shame we don't see so much of him or his programmes on tv anymore - I virtually grew up watching him!

gillian said:
This really got me wondering and this is what I have found out about Tony. Not sitting with his slippers on enjoying his retirement but leading expeditions!
http://www.quarkexpeditions.com/expedstaff/index.shtml
Ah, well found, Gillian. I presume that is his son who is also on the expedition team.
Tony Soper's voice is instantly recognisable (to me at any rate!), and it's soft tones always seemed ideally suited to narrating programmes on birds... I think you still get the odd Tony Soper bird programme popping up as a time filler on bbc2.

Many thanks Gillian....didn't realise he was SO busy! Though being interested in the natural world always means that you'll have something interesting to look out for - no time for boredom!

Thanks for all your responses, it has been realy interesting to find out things about him after all these years.

Cashie said:
What ever happend to Tony Soper? he use to do a british bird programe, i think it was on BBC 2, a brilliant programe too, why do they stop these great shows.?

Hi
Just this morning watched a Survival programme about Golden Eagles.Narration was by Tony Soper.Superb programme. Does any one know if he is a west countryman,I ask this as I am researching my family history and my Grandmothers maiden name was Soper.

Tony Soper lives just outside of Kingsbridge, Devon and has done so for many years. I think he hails from South Devon.
In my youth I guess he was the "Mr. Bird Man" of TV rather like Bill Oddie is today.

Perry

Last edited:
i think tony soper should make a comeback to bbc television becouse i grow up whith him and peter scott and david attenbought i hope the bbc wont forget him

On November 7 last year I was standing near the Kingsbridge Water Works trying to locate the Laughing Gull that had been seen there the day before. A friend of mine was about a mile further down the estuary and he phoned me to put me on to the bird by saying "if you focus on Tony Soper's house and then pan back to the next field etc etc". As I didn't know where Tony Soper lived he then had to give me further directions.
Glad to know you are well Tony, I remember meeting you in the early 1960s when I worked in the NatPro. Bank in Plymouth and asking you about a bird I had seen. You told me Black-tailed Godwit I seem to recall. Roger

Stranger said:
Hi
Just this morning watched a Survival programme about Golden Eagles.Narration was by Tony Soper.Superb programme. Does any one know if he is a west countryman,I ask this as I am researching my family history and my Grandmothers maiden name was Soper.

Soper's are two a penny in South Devon. My father was originally a Southampton man, apprenticed as a shipwright to Thornycrofts, but came to Plymouth as a ship's agent. So I grew up on the Plymouth waterfront, which was wonderful. Thanks for all the kind remarks. In my old age, but as a freelance, I go on till I drop, I hope!

Hello there Mr. Soper and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Hello Mr Soper, thank you for responding to my question & welcome to bird forum, I think you will enjoy it here looking at some fantastic bird photography and reading the postings.

Cheers Cashie B :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back