• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The bird you’ve seen in the most countries? (1 Viewer)

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
Skipping House Sparrow / Rock Pigeon or any other exotics, what species have you seen in the most countries?

Some obvious contenders are Peregrine Falcon, Osprey, Great Egret, Western Cattle Egret (I don’t consider it an exotic in the Americas, it arrived on its own), Ruddy Turnstone, Common Tern (and perhaps Royal, Caspian, or Gull-billed), Wilson’s Storm-Petrel, and I’m sure others will come up with more good candidates.

For me it’s Great Egret (I think).

Great Egret currently the lead bird, everywhere I've been I think, especially the places most widely spread: Falklands, USA, Europe, Africa top to bottom, India and Sri Lanka. Osprey, in Europe, Africa, Sri Lanka and the USA probably my next most widely recorded, Western Cattle Egret right behind it including the Falklands as well as pretty much everywhere I've been in Europe and Africa plus USA. Peregrine not far behind them: I doubt anything else comes close for me.

One of my more interesting multiples is White-rumped Sandpiper, which I've seen in Britain, Namibia and the Falkland Islands but not North America.

John

Great Egret currently the lead bird, everywhere I've been I think, especially the places most widely spread: Falklands, USA, Europe, Africa top to bottom, India and Sri Lanka. Osprey, in Europe, Africa, Sri Lanka and the USA probably my next most widely recorded, Western Cattle Egret right behind it including the Falklands as well as pretty much everywhere I've been in Europe and Africa plus USA. Peregrine not far behind them: I doubt anything else comes close for me.

One of my more interesting multiples is White-rumped Sandpiper, which I've seen in Britain, Namibia and the Falkland Islands but not North America.

John

Ruddy Turnstone is (I believe) my second highest, then W Cattle Egret, then Osprey, then Peregrine.

Barn Swallow (European + American) wins, followed by Grey Heron, Common Kestrel and Great Egret (Western + Eastern + American).

For me it is probably Great Egret. I even forgot to write it on several trip reports, because my brain simply filters it... Beautiful bird, nevertheless.

Great Egret and Barn Swallow are in Front for me. From a more rarer perspective Capian Tern makes an appearance which I saw at least in 13 countries on 5 continents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back