• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Gambia - guides & prices (1 Viewer)

leonardo_simon

I’ll be visiting The Gambia this week.
Can anyone here recommend a good guide /guiding company
also what are the usual prices please per day etc?

I plan to arrange a guide when I get there

thanks

I’ll be visiting The Gambia this week.
Can anyone here recommend a good guide /guiding company
also what are the usual prices please per day etc?

I plan to arrange a guide when I get there

thanks
I would contact the Gambia Bird Guide Association whose premises are right by the Kotu bridge. Illustration below may help.

Cheers

John

49565071213_b8f7015b18_o.jpg

Visited for the first time in November, didn’t have a full guided day in coastal region so not sure on full day costs, but teaming up with a mate visiting at same time, 4 pre arranged half days in coastal region cost £45 each, and an extra half day to farasuto arranged there cost £50 each. Probably full price halved? A full day upriver cost £135 each for 3 people

Hello - just got back and had a great time. We did some half days in the coastal region (leaving Kotu @06;30 returning about 14:00hrs) which we negotiated to £35 per person for two people with a guide + driver. (Plus we gave the driver a 200 Dalasi tip).

We took a guide from the Kotu Bridge (that photo above must have been taken ages ago, as that sign is now in poor condition) who was great at showing us the birds and knew some good spots.

We also did a full day on one occasion (returning to hotel about 6pm) but it got too hot in the afternoon, didn’t see much after 1pm…so felt that the half days worked a lot better. Especially with family commitments too!

Also, we spent a few days unguided walking around the Kotu area (mainly the golf course) which was excellent, very little hassle and it was fun finding stuff on our own. Patch birding! I teamed up with another person that I met at the hotel, despite going out with my non-birding family. Worked extremely well as a family holiday - they were happy by the pool and horse riding on the beach…

Last edited:
Hello - just got back and had a great time. We did some half days in the coastal region (leaving Kotu @06;30 returning about 14:00hrs) which we negotiated to £35 per person for two people with a guide + driver. (Plus we gave the driver a 200 Dalasi tip).

We took a guide from the Kotu Bridge (that photo above must have been taken ages ago, as that sign is now in poor condition) who was great at showing us the birds and knew some good spots.

We also did a full day on one occasion (returning to hotel about 6pm) but it got too hot in the afternoon, didn’t see much after 1pm…so felt that the half days worked a lot better. Especially with family commitments too!

Also, we spent a few days unguided walking around the Kotu area (mainly the golf course) which was excellent, very little hassle and it was fun finding stuff on our own. Patch birding! I teamed up with another person that I met at the hotel, despite going out with my non-birding family. Worked extremely well as a family holiday - they were happy by the pool and horse riding on the beach…
January 2020, just before the start of the pandemic. Tropical sunlight will fade colours rapidly. Always the chance of human abuse as well.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back