• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ladybird thread (5 Viewers)

Just seen a post on the Facebook uk ladybird group that someone found 10 spp of ladybird on gravestones in an Edinburgh graveyard today! Including 2 would be lifers for me (18-spot and Larch)

Inspired by this, I just tried my nearest cemetery. My first trip looking specifically for ladybirds rather than insects in general. Not one.

Another fruitless search of a reedbed today. It's hard to tell whether I'm not good at spotting water ladybirds or whether they are uncommon in my area. There is one 'tick' in a square km near me but I think it must be on private land. (At least I found my first siskins of the winter so it wasn't completely unproductive!)

Another fruitless search of a reedbed today. It's hard to tell whether I'm not good at spotting water ladybirds or whether they are uncommon in my area. There is one 'tick' in a square km near me but I think it must be on private land. (At least I found my first siskins of the winter so it wasn't completely unproductive!)
They might be easier to find by visual search when it gets warm (if they're there). Scanning the reeds is a bit like seawatching 🤨

Just can't seem to find that elusive #20 for the year!

Today's Bristol highlight was my 2nd Red-headed Rhyzobius of the year, found in a bush that also produced 4 Round-keeled Rhyzobius, one Pine Ladybird, two 7-spots, and one Harlequin.

Of interest (at least to me!) was how unusually large the Red-headed Rhyzobius appeared. Due to its bulkier shape it appeared the same size as the Round-keeled. When measured later crawling around on squared paper it was seen to be about 2.5mm long (book says 2mm) and two Round-keeleds with it measured only marginally longer (book says 2.5 - 3.5mm).

Lots of bashing elsewhere produced only a couple of 22-spots and a couple more Round-keeled Rhyzobius. Looking forward to it getting warmer 🙂

Pics later (I hope) on the Facebook page.

In at #20 for the year today: 14-spot Ladybird. Perhaps surprisingly late to the party.

Found during a two-hour search of ivy hoping for Horseshoe Ladybird at Brandon Hill. Only others found were two 10-spots, a Harlequin, and a Round-keeled Rhyzobius.

In at #20 for the year today: 14-spot Ladybird. Perhaps surprisingly late to the party.

Found during a two-hour search of ivy hoping for Horseshoe Ladybird at Brandon Hill. Only others found were two 10-spots, a Harlequin, and a Round-keeled Rhyzobius.
Not much whitefly out yet round me - but I think the SE is probably colder than Bristol at the moment.

BOOM! Just found a Horseshoe Ladybird on an ivy-covered trunk on my local patch in Bristol (feels like a rite of passage). I guess this might be the 2nd record for Bristol, following the ones found at Brandon Hill in 2018 😊. Pics on the ladybirds of UK Facebook group later I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back