• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The obscure August Vollrath Streubel (2 Viewers)

Attached is August's birth record from Polkau u Polkritz in Saxony-Anhalt. This location makes sense as his father was a professional Jäger.

This would mean that he is unlikely to be the brother of the Karl Wilhelm Streubel (1816 - 1868) born in Leipzig contra several family tree websites. He probably did have a brother called Karl but I am not sure where he was born.

Attached also is a death certificate for a Dr. Lehrer August Streubel for 8 April 1895. N Prenzlauer Allee (His last address) and Niederschönhausen (where the death is registered) are nearby and both in the Pankow area of Berlin today.

P

Attachments

• August1.JPG
    August1.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 13
  • death.JPG
    death.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Attached is August's birth record from Polkau u Polkritz in Saxony-Anhalt. This location makes sense as his father was a professional Jäger.

This would mean that he is unlikely to be the brother of the Karl Wilhelm Streubel (1816 - 1868) born in Leipzig contra several family tree websites. He probably did have a brother called Karl but I am not sure where he was born.

Attached also is a death certificate for a Dr. Lehrer August Streubel for 8 April 1895. N Prenzlauer Allee (His last address) and Niederschönhausen (where the death is registered) are nearby and both in the Pankow area of Berlin today.

P

:clap: I think you got him Paul. Well done. As well here http://www.content.landesarchiv-berlin.de/labsa/pdf/P_Rep_201_0155.pdf p. 56 of 66.

Karl Wilhelm Streubel (1816 - 1868) still can be his brother. It is not clear who his father/mother was. (At least for me). As well can't read it for August. Nevertheless :t:

I contacted Universitätsbibliothek Erlangen-Nürnberg and they confirmed it is an other edition of Der Conservator....

As well attached Urkunde SU 22/1895 aus P Rep. 201 Nr. 95 (some more information than the one of Paul) and some excerpts of Kleine Beiträge zur reinen und angewandten Naturgeschichte I got from Freie Universitaet Berlin Universitaetsbibliothek (at least we know in 1866 he lived in the Krauts-Strasse 1) as attachement. The death record gives Osterholz (Hohenberg-Krusemark) as birth place but it is very close to Polkau u Polkritz. And in fact he died 7. April 1895 and it was reported on 8. April.

As his late wife was mentioned we can be sure it is him even if his middle name isn't mentioned.

Anyway here Cypselus Streubelii Harlaub, 1861. It is a new name for Cypselus abessynicus Streubel, 1848. The article is Die Cypseliden des Berliner Museums pp. 348-373. Maybe a connection to the natural history museum Berlin? Taxidermist of the museum?

But now I am a little bit confused about the authorship. Will be Theodor von Heuglin or Gustav Hartlaub be considered as author of the name? I ask as the title of the article is Beiträge zur der Ornithologie von Th. v. Heugelin while at the end of the article we Dr. G. Hartlaub.

As well I ask myself (if Avibase is correct) why Apus affinis galilejensis (Antinori, 1855) and not Apus affinis abessynicus (Streubel, 1848)? abessynicus pre-occupied by?

Take it for what's worth.

Attachments

• SU 22-1895.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • Vet.med. Bib-1.pdf
    689.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
But now I am a little bit confused about the authorship. Will be Theodor von Heuglin or Gustav Hartlaub be considered as author of the name? I ask as the title of the article is Beiträge zur der Ornithologie von Th. v. Heugelin while at the end of the article we Dr. G. Hartlaub.

As well I ask myself (if Avibase is correct) why Apus affinis galilejensis (Antinori, 1855) and not Apus affinis abessynicus (Streubel, 1848)? abessynicus pre-occupied by?

At least last A. a. abessynicus seems not the one from Streubel. So what is the synonym of Streubels name? See also here.

But Thesaurus ornithologiae shows it as synonym to Apus affinis affinis.

Streubel indicated here Ethiopia as country where Friedrich Wilhelm Hemprich and Christian Gottfried Ehrenberg collected the specimen(s).

I am honest I can't follow this logic here of plenary powers.

Last edited:
Cypselus abessynicus Streubel 1848 was long used for the tropical African populations of Apus affinis, until it was realised that Abyssinian populations of the species actually belonged to the same taxon as those of the Near-East, for which Cypselus galilejensis Antinori 1855 was in use.
The tropical African population was then renamed Apus affinis aerobates Brooke 1969 https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/40816905, but the transfer of abessynicus, long used for one taxon, to another taxon, which should in principle have followed, was deemed unbearable: the suppression of the name (for the purposes of the Principle of Priority) was requested to the Commission https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/12224464, who obliged https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/12225192.

I.e., abessynicus is a senior synonym of galilejensis, not preoccupied, but that cannot be used as a valid name any more.

(Only the Commission is entitled to set aside a decision of the Commission.)

Last edited:
Actually I don't like this logic, but I think we have to accept the commisions decission. In my opinion nothing is unbearable and/or without alternative. Priority rules! B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back