• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush ID: help appreciated (1 Viewer)

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
When I took this picture there was a lot of lighting flare, which is why I've made changes in the way it is presented.

When I first saw this bird, the colouring on his/her back looked more like a song thrush than a mistle thrush, but on viewing the markings underneath I think he/she is a mistle thrush.

Picture taken just off the coast, County Durham, perched on low shrubs/thickets (yesterday).

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Attachments

• Mistle Thrush.jpg
    Mistle Thrush.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 65
The relatively small bill (stouter in Mistle), and the inverted-heart-shape spots (rounder in Mistle) both confirm Songy (y)

A Song Trush for me too. As said by Nutcracker, Mistle has different shaped spots on the belly. Ruonded or vertical shaped.
In some Mistle the dfferent direction of the spots (horizontal on the breast and vertical on the belly is striking and then a very good pointer towards Mistle),
Although enhanced by warm light and camera settings (?) the warm brown upperparts and strong warm yellow-buff belly is also much better for Song.

Edit: or is it better described the other way round? See picture here, to see what I mean: http://www.irish-birds.info/images/mistle-thrush.jpg

The relatively small bill (stouter in Mistle), and the inverted-heart-shape spots (rounder in Mistle) both confirm Songy (y)

Thanks. I'll make a note of the bill for future. I did spend about half an hour last night looking at the picture and comparing with pictures of both on the internet. I did spot the inverted heart shape spots but just didn't think them distinct enough when comparing with pictures on the internet. Anyway, the main thing I'd hoped for is clarification, so many thanks for that.

Interesting you've got song thrushes on the Durham coast, it shows the strong climatic gradient across the county - pretty rare in winter up here in NW Durham

Interesting you've got song thrushes on the Durham coast, it shows the strong climatic gradient across the county - pretty rare in winter up here in NW Durham
Same in Northumbs, they're quite frequent on the coast in winter, but just summer visitors in the uplands.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back