• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tiger shrike or brown shrike? (Singapore) (1 Viewer)

I’ve only seen one of each so my opinion probably doesn’t carry much weight here, but for what it’s worth I reckon Tiger Shrike, that massive bill and head pattern more typical of the species………
perhaps;)
I've never seen Tiger Shrike but have seen Brown Shrike (& many images of UK vagrants) & it doesn't look like Brown Shrike.

Last edited:
Two shots of Brown Shrikes from Bangkok, the first in late January, the second in mid February. Note pale lores and bill colouration similar to the Singapore bird.

And I think there is zero need to mention the "H" word. Tiger Shrike has a quite different ecological niche to Brown Shrike (it's not part of the RBS-Izzy-Turkestan-Daurian-BS continuum across Eurasia), I really cannot image a BSxTiger hybrid ever happening (famous last words, but...!)

Attachments

• DSC_1963.jpg
    DSC_1963.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 17.02.19.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 17.02.19.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Two shots of Brown Shrikes from Bangkok, the first in late January, the second in mid February. Note pale lores and bill colouration similar to the Singapore bird.

And I think there is zero need to mention the "H" word. Tiger Shrike has a quite different ecological niche to Brown Shrike (it's not part of the RBS-Izzy-Turkestan-Daurian-BS continuum across Eurasia), I really cannot image a BSxTiger hybrid ever happening (famous last words, but...!)
Well Dave, the 2 have actually hybridised before, twice in Korea. I have seen images of a mixed pair, and probably still have them somewhere, though I cannot locate them currently. Further, Phil Round trapped a presumed hybrid on KMN in the spring of 2021 but I am not at liberty to share the images. Nial Moores concurred with the suspected parentage.

However, I see no strong reason to suggest the OP is a hybrid.

Grahame

Last edited:
Well Dave, the 2 have actually hybridised before, twice in Korea. I have seen images of a mixed pair, and probably still have them somewhere, though I cannot locate them currently. Further, Phil Round trapped a presumed hybrid on KMN in the spring of 2021 but I am not at liberty to share the images. Nial Moores confirmed ID.

However, I see no strong reason to suggest the OP is a hybrid.

Grahame
ha ha, like I said Grahame - famous last words!

Seems like a very "odd couple" to me - Tiger is so much of a canopy- and deep-cover lover compaired with Brown Shrike.

Shrikes eh? They will literally do anything to anything!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back