• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tip for Jessops (all?) cable releases on coolpix 4500 (1 Viewer)

I was having problems with my Jessops Cable release slipping off the shiny rounded shutter button of my coolpix 4500 this was causing me to miss shots and scratching the camera.

We've got these felt furniture pads that we use in the house for sticking to the bottom of our furniture to stop our wooden floors getting scratched. I stuck a small piece to cover the shutter button and hey presto! No damage and no slippage!

glasgowbirder said:
I was having problems with my Jessops Cable release slipping off the shiny rounded shutter button of my coolpix 4500 this was causing me to miss shots and scratching the camera.

We've got these felt furniture pads that we use in the house for sticking to the bottom of our furniture to stop our wooden floors getting scratched. I stuck a small piece to cover the shutter button and hey presto! No damage and no slippage!

I don't have a Jessops, but what you describe sound similar to the situation with the homemade cable release holders I use. The standard solution with those is to use a slice of eraser from one of those retractable eraser sticks or a pencil eraser. In this case, the eraser is stuck to the cable rather than the felt being stuck to the button. Similar results are obtained, though the idea of a soft and fuzzy shutter release button on my camera does have a certain appeal. :)

Good tip :t:

I'm sure that my Jessop's one came with a pad as you describe but it could very well have been the EagleEye Generic one instead. The pad certainly saves scratching of the chrome of the shutter button as well as making a more stable shutter release point.

Another tip with the Jessop's bracket is to add a dollop of putty to the top of the pillar to prevent the bracket slipping off.

The little felt pads now come with the Jessop adaptor, but as you suggest any sticky felt pads will do. I moved on to the Eagle-Eye because I needed the screen viewer and wing adaptor. The Eagle-Eye doesn't come with felt pads.

My 4500 came with pads but they didn't stay on very long. I like the idea of a small piece of eraser on the end of the cable. I will have to try that.

The smallest size felt polishing pads that are sold for dremel type hobby tools are just about the right size and have a handy hole in the centre which gives a push fit on the cable release. This has worked well on my coolpix 990 with home made cable release bracket.

Also worth a look are the self stick soft pads from the Velco stick on coins, cut down to size these work well on my home made cable release for my Nikon D70 without scratching the chrome shutter release.
I found the pads at the local Woolworths.

I have actually given up on using a cable release altogether due to the twin problems of the plunger bracket getting mis-aligned and then slipping on the shutter release button.

I have to say that I haven't really noticed much fall off in quality (yes, I know... they were carp before and they're no worse now...)

A plus is that pressing the button manually gives much more control and feel when it comes to locking the focus (without eccidently triggering the shutter)

Interested to see how I get on in the lower light conditions as Winter draws in...may have to invest in a little bit of rubber...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back