• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To Cull or not to Cull (1 Viewer)

I'm doing my bit, shot 3 at my feeders in the last week, if a million of us did that, problem solved

Keep it up. :t:

Fortunately I've yet to see one in my village, let alone my garden. If they do turn up in the garden I'll be doing my best (legally of course) to see that they don't leave.

PS. In three earlier posts I've referred to passenger pigeons. This one is the fourth, yet nobody has commented.

Don't they fit the agenda? Aren't they an example (albeit in their case, misguided) of what can be done if the will is there?

Last edited:
It's a good point Alan. Flocks used to darken the sky and they were mainly eliminated by shooting. Not sure how many other birds got caught up in it though.

PS. In three earlier posts I've referred to passenger pigeons. This one is the fourth, yet nobody has commented.

Don't they fit the agenda? Aren't they an example (albeit in their case, misguided) of what can be done if the will is there?

It's a good point Alan. Flocks used to darken the sky and they were mainly eliminated by shooting. Not sure how many other birds got caught up in it though.

They weren't just done over by shooting, nest colonies were battered out of trees with long poles, squabs shot in nests etc. But I agree its a good comparison, because this was a hugely numerous species in a continent, for goodness' sake, not a little island off the side of one.

Every birdwatcher shoudl be gunning down every Grey Squirrel at every feeder, and every other possible method should be employed countrywide. I still say using contraceptives say up to a line twenty miles from Red Squirrel areas - they could be put in squirrel feeders if nowhere else - would be a massively helpful adjunct to such a strategy, as would enlisting the hunting fraternity.

Those who say this isn't do-able are just wrong.

John

Hi John,

Fortunately I rarely see Grey Squirrels but if I got them in my garden I wouldn't know where to start when it comes down to "gunning" them down! What are the legalities of doing this?

Cheers,

They weren't just done over by shooting, nest colonies were battered out of trees with long poles, squabs shot in nests etc. But I agree its a good comparison, because this was a hugely numerous species in a continent, for goodness' sake, not a little island off the side of one.

Every birdwatcher shoudl be gunning down every Grey Squirrel at every feeder, and every other possible method should be employed countrywide. I still say using contraceptives say up to a line twenty miles from Red Squirrel areas - they could be put in squirrel feeders if nowhere else - would be a massively helpful adjunct to such a strategy, as would enlisting the hunting fraternity.

Those who say this isn't do-able are just wrong.

John

Hi John,

Fortunately I rarely see Grey Squirrels but if I got them in my garden I wouldn't know where to start when it comes down to "gunning" them down! What are the legalities of doing this?

Cheers,

The animals are vermin so enjoy only normal anti-cruelty protection, so shooting is legal at any time of the year.

No license is needed for an air rifle of suitable power. You are required to ensure there is no danger to the public from your use of the weapon (so there must be a suitable continuous backstop: don't use one in a back garden with only a hedge or chain-link fence!) No doubt others will have more to say on this but I have heard of various people chopping squirrels locally this way without demur from neighbours.

If you are serious, I suggest you practice first, use a telescopic sight and take head shots from as close as you can lure the squirrels. This will prevent you having to chase down wounded animals.

If you want to recycle, I believe recipes are available on the Internet though I haven't looked. I seem to recall an old book on British mammals having a squirrel recipe that finished: "...then dig a hole and bury it deep!" which may indicate palatability. But more likely they taste like chicken.

John

The animals are vermin so enjoy only normal anti-cruelty protection, so shooting is legal at any time of the year.

No license is needed for an air rifle of suitable power. You are required to ensure there is no danger to the public from your use of the weapon (so there must be a suitable continuous backstop: don't use one in a back garden with only a hedge or chain-link fence!) No doubt others will have more to say on this but I have heard of various people chopping squirrels locally this way without demur from neighbours.

John

Continuing on from this, an air rifle of suitable power is one which does not require a firearms license (under 12ft/lbs of power), such as .22 and .177 calibre, .22 being most popular. Note that it is illegal to fire any pellet from an airgun onto land where you do not have permission to shoot, i.e. it is illegal to shoot a squirrel over your land boundaries. It is also illegal to fire any firearm within 50ft of the centre of any public road.

Note also if your neighbours are against you shooting squirrels that it is not advisable to shoot where you or your quarry are plainly in view - it does nothing for neighbourly relations.

I thouroughly recommend anybody interested further to contact BASC or a similar organisation first, for general info as well as safety tips. The following link is useful:

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/airriflepractice

As well as shooting cage trapping is a good method of grey control. Traps are much easier and practical in suburban areas as they are there when you are not and are more discreet. I brought a model similar to the one in the below link from the Midland Game Fair last August for about £10, and have trapped about 10 squirrels from the same spot since, using a fat ball as bait. Squirrels caught in this way are killed humanely with an air gun.

http://www.trapman.co.uk/rat-trap-multi-catch-humane-rat-trap.htm

Hope this is of interest. :t:

As well as shooting cage trapping is a good method of grey control. Traps are much easier and practical in suburban areas as they are there when you are not and are more discreet. I brought a model similar to the one in the below link from the Midland Game Fair last August for about £10, and have trapped about 10 squirrels from the same spot since, using a fat ball as bait. Squirrels caught in this way are killed humanely with an air gun.

http://www.trapman.co.uk/rat-trap-multi-catch-humane-rat-trap.htm

Hope this is of interest. :t:

I might point out, before anyone rushes out to buy one, that it says quite clearly:

"Please note this trap is not suitable for live catching squirrels, other pest control companies sell this as a squirrel trap we do not. It was never designed to catch squirrel's "

If you are serious, I suggest you practice first, use a telescopic sight and take head shots from as close as you can lure the squirrels. This will prevent you having to chase down wounded animals.

If you want to recycle, I believe recipes are available on the Internet though I haven't looked. I seem to recall an old book on British mammals having a squirrel recipe that finished: "...then dig a hole and bury it deep!" which may indicate palatability. But more likely they taste like chicken.

John

Didn't really want to get involved in this sick thread.

Whatever your thoughts are regarding the grey squirrel,it isn't their fault but the fault of man for introducing them and you ought to remember that.The squirrel has no idea it is outdoing the red squirrel,it is simply fighting for survival like us all.

At least cull them in a way that does not bring about untold pain to the animal.People who cant fire guns properly wont kill quickly and encouraging people to do so is just so so stupid it's unreal.

Please can we have a bit of intelligence on this thread instead of a bunch of guys who are so hell bent on getting rid of the grey, they may use any means possible.

Didn't really want to get involved in this sick thread.

Whatever your thoughts are regarding the grey squirrel,it isn't their fault but the fault of man for introducing them and you ought to remember that.The squirrel has no idea it is outdoing the red squirrel,it is simply fighting for survival like us all.

At least cull them in a way that does not bring about untold pain to the animal.People who cant fire guns properly wont kill quickly and encouraging people to do so is just so so stupid it's unreal.

Please can we have a bit of intelligence on this thread instead of a bunch of guys who are so hell bent on getting rid of the grey, they may use any means possible.

hi Mary

Not meaning to raise to angst here on the subject of Grey Squirrels. I am certainly not meaning to upset anyone but simply raising up the whole subject which is now becoming a big problem in the UK.

It is a fact that there are so many problems attached with the Grey's in the UK, and yes it is true they are man made. Man is the fault here not the Greys. Mary, you have hit the nail on the head in what you say and I do agree with you 100 per cent believe you me

The thing that worries me that there is more moral support needed for our Reds which are native to GB. To see a Red with Pox is so disheartening. They are not immune to Pox as the Grey's are.

I also feel annoyed, that I spend a fortune on Bird food to find 3 Grey's in my garden eating it like there is no tomorrow. It is so annoying to see this going on. I am not made of money either

Just my opinions, as you have yours too. Friends again I hope ;)

I think the ethical issues raised by situations like this are extremely complex.

For example, conservationists usually it for granted species that arrived somewhere under their own steam have a right to be there which ones that arrived by human agency do not.

This view can have value, yet there are strong arguments against it as well. If we accept that humans are part of nature (rather than being some other kind of entity, say the special creation of a god) then our actions are also part of nature; and that includes our habit of moving species around the world.

When examined closely, the apparently clear division between species that "naturally" belong somewhere and those that don't begins to look a lot fuzzier.

My own ethics lead me both to value the diversity of living things and also to reject the killing of humans or animals in any but the most extreme circumstances.

I value Britain's red squirrel population, but also value the enjoyment I get from watching the acrobatics of grey squirrels in the trees outside my office.

In terms of England and Wales, the pro-red actions I would like to see would be a bolstering of Anglesey and the Isle of Wight as red squirrel refuges; I would like to see the Anglesey greys relocated and a concerted campaign of reforestation in both places to create more habitat for both the squirrels and the whole range of woodland wildlife.

I know too little about the situation in Scotland to comment on that: though of course I have enjoyed watching reds in the Highlands immensely.

best wishes to all
James

Good idea. We'll write off the entire red squirrel population of Northumberland, Cumbria and Scotland because you like to see the acrobatics of the cuddly greys outside your office and you don't like to think of their relatives being culled!

After all, the existence of a species is entirely for the entertainment and enjoyment of tourists to the quaint outposts in the north of this island.

Remind us in the north the next time you come to visit and we'll put on our best costumes.

I know too little about the situation in Scotland to comment on that: though of course I have enjoyed watching reds in the Highlands immensely.

best wishes to all
James

Hi James

Well said and well put, you have explained things well. It is true that we all have the right to live, and we are all part of nature.
Sometimes man interfers too much, and caused mayhem in the natural way of animal life. So it is hard to get the balance right once more, so mistakes are made. They need to be rectified.

I think if the Grey's where as prone to the pox as the Reds are fair deal, but it is not the case sadly. The balance between the Reds and Grey's is off balance and the Reds are losing all the time now.

Talking about Scottish Red Squirrels. I have moved about a bit in the Scottish area, (I am from Edinburgh myself). and been lucky to had Reds on my feeders, and loved having them. One Red I had appeared on my feeders everyday,(Montrose area). and it was quite a built up area where I was staying too. So Reds appear not to be put off with built up areas, or human beings close by.

While on my walks I saw quite a few Reds in the areas that I walked throughout the day. They where lovely to see, and looked healthy too - mainly in the Central Belt of Scotland - Montrose and Stirling areas. So, yes they are in Scotland

One thing I would like to do is to post on this thread in 10 years time, and see what the story will be then.

Good idea. We'll write off the entire red squirrel population of Northumberland, Cumbria and Scotland because you like to see the acrobatics of the cuddly greys outside your office and you don't like to think of their relatives being culled!

Some of us, except nature and allow it to take its course.I don't think for one minute anyone wants to see the red squirrel gone.

But you'll not do the things that are necessary to stop it being exterminated.

And it's not "nature", it's a sentimental refusal to undo a terrible mistake brought about by the actions of people.

And that's a perversion of nature.

Last edited:
Mary, you quite rightly blame man for introducing Greys in the first place yet despite the catastrophic decline of the Reds you choose to sit on the fence.

Over the past 130 years history has proved that turning a blind eye and doing nothing has allowed the Greys population to expand to over 3 million. In the same time our once common Red Squirrel has declined to 120,000. I'm sure we all wish their was no need for a cull but is it right to knowingly sit back, do nothing and let one of our few native mammals become extinct?

To date our goverments response has been little short of pathetic and the various so called conservation organisations have agreed a strategy that will result in the loss of a further 60% of red held territory during the next 20 years.

Within certain areas of Yorkshire, Northumberland and Anglesey culling has been effective. I applaud the efforts of everyone who is prepared to take direct action.

I heard that a study of pine martens showed that greys were less likely to expand as quickly. I heard that pine martens find them easier prey than reds because they spend a lot of time on the ground. The survey said that whether or not it was a coincidence is unknown.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back