• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Traversia lyalli Rothschild, 1894 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Traversia lyalli Rothschild, 1894 OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

David Lyall (b.1822) was the son of a lighthouse keeper who became lighthouse keeper on Stephens Island, Cook Strait, New Zealand (1894). A domestic cat on the island began to bring carcasses of a small bird to the keepers' dwellings. Lyall, who was interested in natural history, arranged to send a specimen to the New Zealand naturalist Walter Lawry Buller (q.v.). Lyall sold other specimens of this flightless 'wren' to Henry Travers (q.v.), who in turn sold the birds to Walter Rothschild (q.v.). Lyall himself was assigned to another lighthouse (1896), by which time the 'wren' was probably extinct. The oft-repeated story that Lyall's cat was solely responsible for wiping out the entire population of Xenicus lyalli is apparently apocryphal; there were other feral cats on the island until exterminated in 1925.

The old key:

David Lyall (fl. 1894) lighthouse-keeper on Stephens I., New Zealand, was the only person who saw the apparently flightless Stephens Island Wren alive in its restricted habitat. “This species is extinct, extirpated by Lyall’s cat, it is said” (Greenway 1987) (‡Traversia).

The cats name was Tibbles.

I have no idea if born 1822 and even less idea when David Lyall died. So I give this case to the more skilled audience and assume Paul knows or will find the answer. New Zealand is a home game ;).

To all cat videos lovers. Not a good job from your darlings. And for Lyall's wren or Stephens Island wren it was not the best evolution strategy to be a flightless bird on an island.

More on the bird e.g. in
  • Galbraith, R.; Brown, D. 2004. The tale of the lighthouse-keeper’s cat: discovery and extinction of the Stephens Island wren (Traversia lyalli). Notornis 51: 193-200.
  • Millener, P.R. 1989. The only flightless passerine; the Stephens Island wren (Traversia lyalli: Acanthisittidae). Notornis 36: 280-284.

Last edited:
David Lyall
Birth7 Mar 1849 Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Residence1851 Wigtownshire, Scotland
Marriage17 Sep 1878 Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Death27 Jan 1911 Port Chalmers, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand

FatherAndrew Lyall (Born 1821)
MotherAgnes Souter (1829-1861)
SpouseMartha Mail (1855-1922

WOW! Paul, that was quick. And, (if true) ... quite a sensation!

Actually, to me, this is one of the most surprising additions made here on BirdForum (at least in the Bird Name Etymology section) ... for years!

the extinct Lyall's Wren Xenicus/Traversia lyalli ROTHSCHILD 1894, as "Traversia lyalli", also known as; Lyall's Rockwren, or (far more often) Stephens Island Wren (in a multitude of versions), and even Travers's Wren.

But ... considering that this is one of the most famous (extinct) birds of all ...

How come nobody (in the Old world) seems to have found those years (of David Lyall) earlier?

How sure are you, Paul?

Björn

If so (and, note; this far, I've seen nothing talking against it, neither pointing elsewhere, or clearly telling us otherwise), thus, I can only gratulate and applaud you, Paul! 🏆 Well done, and thanks! (y)

That's what I would call a well-kept 'Kiwi secret' (or, maybe in more appropriate English; a New Zealand ditto); long, too long, well-hidden, or since long-forgotten, now suddenly brought to light, for all of us ignorant to learn. Hopefully it will also find its way into other texts, and slowly trickle, or ooze, into the minds of a wider audience, entering common knowledge, also among Ornithologists, worldwide.

And, just for the fun of it, on top of the earlier mentioned English names (in #3) the same sad taxon is a k a; Stephens Island Rockwren, or ditto Bushwren, also (in even more odd versions, like) Stephen Island Wren, Steven Island Wren, and Stevens Island Wren alt. simply Stephens Wren ... !

In Swedish (after having used, and/or tried, different versions, in similar ways, based on the name of the Islands itself) we have now, for some whatever reason, settled for the composite (and, to me, somewhat gibberish-looking) name: lyallklippsmyg (from the earlier, in my mind far better, version; Lyalls klippsmyg).

Like they say: "We have many names for the things we love" ... even on (or for) a little, tiny brownish, (probably/possibly) flightless, far-away Wren, gone since the mid-1890's (or maybe that's simply/actually the very reason for its many epithets).

The cats name was Tibbles.

Nope, I don't think so. That statement (or/alt. such an assertion) seems to be nothing but a News paper canard/whim (and as such, not to be re-told without reservation, or explanation). The name of the singular Cat (or the Cat's name), is most likely just a popular Myth, invented by a journalist (simply to get a better story, a feeling of closer to home). In those days (in the early/mid 1890's) there seems to have been several cats, not only one, running around the Lighthouse on Stephens Island. Today the Cats are gone from Stephens Island (Takapourewa), all exterminated, just like the little Wren (even if not, of course, totally gone, like the Wren, from all the World, for ever and eternity). ;)

Also note that sub-fossil remains of the same Wren have also been found on mainland New Zealand (where it's believed once to have been widespread). There it seems to have been Rats responsible for the extermination.

Either way, it's a (or yet another) sad story of mankind suddenly invading virgin soil ... with disastrous results.

I have no idea if born 1822 and even less idea when David Lyall died. So I give this case to the more skilled audience and assume Paul knows or will find the answer. New Zealand is a home game ...
To me, it looks like Beolens et al simply mixed up the Birth years between Father and Son (or at least, if so, very close to). And you (sure) assumed right! Paul knew.

More on the bird e.g. in
  • Galbraith, R.; Brown, D. 2004. The tale of the lighthouse-keeper’s cat: discovery and extinction of the Stephens Island wren (Traversia lyalli). Notornis 51: 193-200.
  • Millener, P.R. 1989. The only flightless passerine; the Stephens Island wren (Traversia lyalli: Acanthisittidae). Notornis 36: 280-284.
If anyone is curious on those two certain Papers, they are both digitized and accessible (in full); here resp. here (and note that the latter PDF shows the full issue of Notornis 36, Part 4, incl. Millener's Paper, just scroll until you reach p.280).

Either way; enjoy!

Björn

PS. Also thanks to Martin, for bringing it up ... this topic, the Wren, and all of it! (y)

PPS. In my MS I also have a short comment/reminder; the dedicatee is not to be confused with the Scottish botanist Dr David Lyall (1817–1895), explorer and collector (mostly of Plants) in North America, Australia and New Zealand (and well as in/on Antarctica ... whatever he could find there, of Plant life).

/B

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back