• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip Suggestion Mid April around 12 days. (1 Viewer)

Dortmundbirder

Hello guys.

Iam looking forward to some suggestions for a birding trip for 2 people.

Living in Germany so Australia is not an option :D.

For me it is important, that it is mainly doable without a guide and the species are outside the Standard Central European/Medditerrenean pool.

I looked on Israel, Kuwait, UAE and Oman in Specific but would also be willed to maybe fly some further.

Happy for all suggestions.

Some ideas

You could consider Gambia (unguided unless you go up river)
Ghana - would suggest guide for Ankasa and if you want to go for Picathartes.
Morroco or Canaries but with less variety

Trinidad and Tobago: there are several charter type companies doing trips from the UK to Tobago - if there is not something similar from Germany, then at least there are direct flights to Barbados where you could easily spend a day or two.

In Tobago, use about 3-4 days on the local birdlife, jump to Trinidad with the internal flight and stay 3 nights at Asa Wright and the rest elsewhere on the island. If I recall correctly, TT has about 500 species mostly overlapping with Venezuela, and if you are on Barbados anyway, probably 10-20 extra including an endemic.

In most places, doing one day with a guide early on usually pays off, the rest can be on your own.

Niels

Thank you very much for the input.
It is somehow a surprise birthday trip for my dad so sadly Ghana is not possible with the vaccacinations needed.
We have been to Sri Lanka and erally enjoyed it. Same with USA.

Sikkim sounds really interesting is it doable without guiding or should we better hire one ( Iam a little bit afraid of driving in India to be honest) :).

Trinidad sounds amazing will look that up for sure.
Other people recommended Iran and Yucatan Peninsula is as well an option.

Yucatan is another very nice place to go, we have been several times. When we have gone, we have chosen 2-3 nights per place we were staying.

Niels

Targets in middle east I would avoid, except You like hot weather.
In Kuwait I had middle of April, 43 centigrad.
Alternativ is Iran because is more in the north and You can go into high mountains. I think high peaks will have still deep snow middle of April.

Option would be Cyprus, but start middle of April is a little bit late.
Not so hot is Greece in this time.
Start in Saloniki is one option.
Look in the Greece Forum for Saloniki, Kerkini, Rhodopes, Evros, Porto Lagos and in every case for Dadia.
Dadia is the area with the most different raptors in Europe.
In this area You can find 15 - 20 birds are not or extrem rare in Central Europe.

Other option is river mouth of Wolga or Texas Migration spectacle.

I read Namibia in April is a apparently a great month to go for weather. It has very strong German connections too. I believe KLM fly direct from Amsterdam.

It is set. We are going to visit Yucatan + Palenque in April. Got pretty cheap flights - for a holiday time - from Amsterdam Thank you very much for your input. So many great locations mentioned that actually have to be visited one day.

Yes. Incredible low rates.
Hotels are very cheap as well at the moment. When I visited Mexico 10 years ago as an exchange student the peso was around 15$ per 1€ and the Euro was pretty strong. Now It is a weak Euro and 22$ exchange rate.

How about the Langtang valley in Nepal. I undertand the trail is open again after the earthquake and mid April is a fantastic time to visit that area. Beautiful woodland, stunning mountain scenery, and great birds.

April should still be full migration time.
Checking trip reports, there are still plenty of New World Warblers and Migrating Thrushes and Flycatchers.

I'd go for a package deal to Mexico, Cuba or perhaps one of the other more 'birdy' islands in the Caribbean.

If that part of the world doesn't appeal then a similar deal to either Gambia or Goa would I'm sure certainly give you all you need to satisfy your needs for a birding holiday. Sri Lanka I think is also worth a look.

Most other birdwatching hotspots around the world would probably require more planning, money, and the services of a guide.

Whoops! Sorry again. I have just read that you have already chosen the Yucatan. I really should read the whole thread first before jumping in and posting!!

No Problem. Always appreciate the help. And hopefully it wont be the last birding trip of my life. So more places to Go.

Nepal e.g. was already on the List. Bagpacks were packed and we were ready to go. The earthquake hit 1 day before arrival.

Gambia, Goa, Sikkim. You guys mention a lot of places I definetly need to visit in the future :).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back