• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trogon sp. (Manu Biolodge, Cusco, Peru) (1 Viewer)

SLopezM

Sergio López Martín
Hello everyone! I saw this bird on October 6th at Manu Biolodge (Cusco, Peru). What species of Trogon do you think it is?

I would also like to use this thread to ask you how to identify the different species of red-bellied trogons that can be found here when their position doesn't let me see their tail in ventral view. From what I understand, the species that could make me doubt in southeastern Peru are the masked trogon (Trogon personatus), the collared trogon (Trogon collaris), the black-tailed trogon (Trogon melanurus) and the blue-crowned trogon (Trogon curucui).

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
I would also like to use this thread to ask you how to identify the different species of red-bellied trogons that can be found here when their position doesn't let me see their tail in ventral view.
Basically, pay attention to: head colour, eye ring colour, bill colour and presence/absence of (obvious) grey in wing.

All but blue-crowned should have some green in the head.

Eye ring colour (and extent) varies with species and gender, as does bill colour. In combination these should narrow the field considerably. Only a couple of species have notably grey wing panels: male collared and blue-crowned

The bird looks better for a black-tailed trogon- vibrant yellow bill, strong patterning on the silverish part of the wing, red eye ring, a tail that appears shorter/broader, dark mask much like the blue crowned and the head also appears to show some green rather than blue.

Edit-https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/53621491

Edit- Bill also appears heavier compared to the more delicate bill of the blue-crowned trogon, tail also shows no sign of the white black pattern that B.C.T's have on their outer tail feathers- also (could be an effect of the light) the tail appears to be flat, not glossy as you would expect on a B.C.T.

Last edited:
The bird looks better for a black-tailed trogon- vibrant yellow bill, strong patterning on the silverish part of the wing, red eye ring, a tail that appears shorter/broader, dark mask much like the blue crowned and the head also appears to show some green rather than blue.

Edit-https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/53621491

Edit- Bill also appears heavier compared to the more delicate bill of the blue-crowned trogon, tail also shows no sign of the white black pattern that B.C.T's have on their outer tail feathers- also (could be an effect of the light) the tail appears to be flat, not glossy as you would expect on a B.C.T.
Agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back