• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Troubador's Favourite Birds: 3 Greenshank Tringa nebularia (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Greenshanks have a confident poise combined with a certain grace that we find utterly captivating, and although described below as ‘elusive’ they are not always so. During one of our visits to the tip of the Ardnamurchan peninsula, during which we had a couple of inches of snow (!), a Greenshank took up residence where a freshwater stream ran over the shore to the sea just in front of our rental cottage. It was a strange experience to be sitting in our cottage watching a Greenshank foraging only a few metres away, instead of being crouched behind a rock viewing one in the far distance through our binoculars. We took several photos and reproduce one below. Taken through double glazing with only a 100mm Macro lens, they are not of the best quality, but they bring back happy memories of this wonderful experience.

Usually we find Greenshanks are an elusive species, not given to joining others in groups in the way that Redshanks often do. Certainly when scanning the shores in the west of Scotland, we never expect to see one and count ourselves lucky to do so. Redshanks frequently give voice to their two-note call: Tyu too, tyu too, but we have only heard Greenshanks’ call a handful of times and it is a clear and exuberant Too-too-too-too-too (the number of repetitions varies) that seems to ‘carry’ for quite long distances.

For us this is a very special species, charismatic, with a unique appeal

Lee

IMG_0042 - Copy.JPG

Living next to an esturine creek in the south, I'm lucky in that I can almost guarantee seeing one during most of the year and often a few in winter, but they're generally very solitary birds.

Greenshank2.jpg

Absolutely wonderful birds - and funnily, one that always leaves me punching the air with delight when I get to connect with one (always one!) out in the field.

My prime Greenshank watching spot is just north of Lairg, inland on a remote loch. Have to sneak in, hide, and wait. No sitting in the cozy warmth with a cup of tea watching the world go by in comfort!

Hi Lee. When you mentioned Greenshank I immediately thought of a pair I unexpectedly came across a couple of years ago. And yes it was also on Ardnamurchan. Up at the Strontium mine where we’d gone for a wander.

Great birds.

Hi Lee. When you mentioned Greenshank I immediately thought of a pair I unexpectedly came across a couple of years ago. And yes it was also on Ardnamurchan. Up at the Strontium mine where we’d gone for a wander.

Great birds.
It seems hard to believe now but I used to visit the mine at Strontian on business! Yes I got paid for going up to Scotland and along Ardnamurchan! Of course I also visited other customers elsewhere in Scotland but while waiting for the Corran ferry I really couldn't believe my luck. I was selling 15% ferro silicon powder (both milled and atomised) and these products took me all over the UK and Western Europe to mines and non-ferrous scrap recovery yards.

Lee

It seems hard to believe now but I used to visit the mine at Strontian on business! Yes I got paid for going up to Scotland and along Ardnamurchan! Of course I also visited other customers elsewhere in Scotland but while waiting for the Corran ferry I really couldn't believe my luck. I was selling 15% ferro silicon powder (both milled and atomised) and these products took me all over the UK and Western Europe to mines and non-ferrous scrap recovery yards.

Lee
I should explain that these FeSi powders were used to make a slurry of a specific density which would cause some pieces of scrap to float and some to sink, thus enabling the separation of e.g. aluminium from magnesium and so enabling a higher price to be charged for a purer product.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back