• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

troublesome dog (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
just want to ask for advice concerning an incident i witnessed this afternoon at one of my local stomping grounds in the waverney valley on the norfolk,suffolk border.i was taking a count for my records at a sand and gravel extraction site which is slowly being turned into a rather good site for nature etc when a local black labrador dog decided to take a stroll through the cordened off area and scattared the resident gulls,oystercatcher,lapwing etc.in the next few days the common terns will arrive and want to find a nest site amongst all the other breeding birds.this kind of thing really lights my fuse.it's bad enough to endure five minutes of incesant barking before the posh twit came to call his dog back to it's yard but ten minutes later to see the animal running unrestrained amongst ground breeding/nesting birds makes me mad.i am definately wanting to report this incident but dont know who to report it to.any advice?. matt

I don't know who you must report this to either but report you must. I deal with bylaw enforcement in the park I work at but am often not aware of problems, so I appreciate reports of incidents such as that from the public. No one will tolerate dog behavior like that (aside from the owner). I'm sure there are laws protecting nesting birds in the UK. It's also probably a regular occurance for this dog.

As upsetting as this is to you,and the fact that the dog should be on a lead.I wonder how many times this scenario is played out by foxes especially where chicks are concerned.

POP

If possible, you should try to point out to the owner that their dog could be causing disturbance to protected breeding birds.

There was a thread not long ago that quoted the law as saying something about 'knowingly disturbing' nesting birds was an offence - if the owner is told, then he/she can't subsequently claim that they didn't know!

It isn't the dog's fault. It's the owner's. It should have it under control. As said above, try to tell the owner to control the dog and that it is disturbing the birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back