• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TS 107/700 triplet (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Back online after a break.

This is the scope that Teleskop Express recommended me in the 100mm range:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p5143_TS-PHOTOLINE-102-700mm-FPL53-Triplet-APO---3--Crayford-1-11.html

Any opinion regarding how this one performs?

Technical specifications in short
- 3-lesn APO with air gap , multicoating - FPL53 O-Hara
- aperture: 102mm
- focal length: 700mm
- aperture ratio: f/6,85
- weight: 5,6kg
- tube diameter: 105mm
- length with retracted dewcap: 615mm
- CNC tube rings
- backfocus app. 160mm
- tube made of aluminium due to temperature compensation with computer calculated baffle system

/Tord

My guess is it will be right up there with the 107/700m but a lot cheaper. I can ask my friend tomorrow about it.
I saw a Stellarvue SV90T (90/630mm) in mint condition with a Feathertouch focuser on it yesterday. DROOOOOLLLL.... This very scope:http://www.astro-foren.de/showthread.php?11109-StellarVue-APO-90-extrem-farbrein&p=43047#post43047

I am really tempted but somehow it seems too bad to lug such a beautiful bit of gear around in the bushes chasing after birds. But as it is it just clutters up the guys nice living room.;)

Haven't heard anything back yet, but it looks like a good scope; good glass and fully adjustable. Not as big and heavy as the 107 and a good bit less pricey. I have decided to stay with the 600-630mm range. My TN worked really well with the 90/600. Sometimes even 600 is too long, but NOT often!;)

Haven't heard anything back yet, but it looks like a good scope; good glass and fully adjustable. Not as big and heavy as the 107 and a good bit less pricey. I have decided to stay with the 600-630mm range. My TN worked really well with the 90/600. Sometimes even 600 is too long, but NOT often!;)

Well... as far as I am concerned, a birding lens always comes short in terms of reach... Unfortunately, there is a limit to usable reach.

Consider the attached photo. It is not the greatest, I know, but it was taken at 200 meters with the SW80ED and a 2X barlow. I was at 2400 mm EQ. and, even then, I had to crop quite a bit.

This is the best I've done in terms of quality/distance. Most of the time, it is not possible to reach that far because of WX and light conditions.

Attachments

• 130623aa365kfw.jpg
    130623aa365kfw.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 116
Exactly. There were times last week in Hungary where 20 meters of warm air over water made it impossible to get a sharp shot. Things get better when it cools off a bit, or when the birds are not so close to the ground.
I find that I have my 1.6x TN on 95% of the time. Only now and again do I take it off and that is usually when I want to get something on the fly.

The kind of photography I do quite often calls for long distance shots.

Among the decent results at long range I have achieved are from last fall, see in post 529 on this thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=194789&page=22

I checked on a detailed map and the distance to the eagles on ground is 275 meters. Conditions were windy, luckily I was sheltered so vibrations were mitigated. Pictures were taken with E620, I suppose the EM5 would have produced better results. Air was clear and caused (almost) no distortion.

Coming winter I am hoping to obtain even better results, however the possibility taking pictures at closer distance than say 100m is virtually non-existing. This is one of the reasons I am considering investing into a scope with even better performance than the SW80, accepting the weight penalty. I would still keep using the SW80 for shorter range walk applications, and use the heavier scope from car or short walks.

I passed up on a gorgeous Stellarvue SV90T (90/630mm) with a wonderful Feathertouch focuser on it for €1400 in favor of a carbon fiber TS 90/600 with a good Crayford for €900. 3kg vs 4.5kg! Should get it next week.
The Stellarvue would have been nice, but it is actually too nice to lug around through the bush chasing after birds. I was tempted, but this way I can also think about upgrading from my D7000 to a D7100. Afraid the EM-1 is going to have to wait. Too expensive!

I passed up on a gorgeous Stellarvue SV90T (90/630mm) with a wonderful Feathertouch focuser on it for €1400 in favor of a carbon fiber TS 90/600 with a good Crayford for €900. 3kg vs 4.5kg! Should get it next week.
The Stellarvue would have been nice, but it is actually too nice to lug around through the bush chasing after birds. I was tempted, but this way I can also think about upgrading from my D7000 to a D7100. Afraid the EM-1 is going to have to wait. Too expensive!

I wish you good photos and a lot of fun with your new toy. 1.5 kg is indeed a lot of weight...

Yes, the EM-1 is expensive... but I may get one anyway when they announce a kit with the 12-40mm. I would then sell my EM-5 with the 12-50mm.

Regards
J

I have noticed a sudden appearance of EM-5s + grip on the used market here. Wonder why...:smoke:

The EM-1 doesn't need a grip. If you add the prices of the EM-5 and grip, it comes pretty close to the price of the EM-1.

Mine has the cheaper 50$ grip that works as well except it doesn't have the part with the additional battery.

Pre-order is 1399$ here in Canada, body only. You get with it a coupon for a free wireless flash or 4/3 lens adapter. I don't need either of those.

I'm waiting for availability with the 12-49mm lens. My EM-5 will be easier to sell if I include the 12-50mm with it.

Good used E-M5s are selling with grip and kit lens here for €900 (silver) to €1000 (black). The E-M1 body only will start at €1500, which is 2060 $ Canadian.

I have seen prices here on excellent condition used EM5 including 12-50 lens starting around 750€.
New bodies excluding lens cost starting 860€
New bodies with 12-50 lens start at 950€
Black/silver does not matter

For our specific application area I guess that an EM5 would be the preferred choice at the moment. If you have 4/3 lenses you plan to use as well, then it may be different...

Perhaps we should discuss this in the 4/3 thread instead...

That is why I have had hopes in the E-M1 because I want to be able to use my good Oly lenses (14-54 II and 50-200 I, EC14) as well as my new scope. I don't like having two separate systems, but I may have to continue that way for a while.

I myself use the EM5 dedicated to the scope, and on my sessions I often bring a 4/3 body with me with either 12-60 or 50-200 readily available to photograph people/nature/flora (and sometimes birds when they are close enough, that is). The 4/3 outfit is in a rucksack with coffee/sandwiches and the extra weight comes in handy to stabilize the tripod if needed :)

But I see your point, though. The EM5 is not the best choice for 4/3 lenses.

Last edited:
I myself use the EM5 dedicated to the scope, and on my sessions I often bring a 4/3 body with me with either 12-60 or 50-200 readily available to photograph people/nature/flora (and sometimes birds when they are close enough, that is). The 4/3 outfit is in a rucksack with coffee/sandwiches and the extra weight comes in handy to stabilize the tripod if needed :)

But I see your point, though. The EM5 is not the best choice for 4/3 lenses.

As far as I am concerned, the EM-5 is not the best choice for birding. This for 2 reasons:

1. AF tracking is non existent. For birds in flight, one must pre-focus or follow the bird with 9 point focus and shoot in S-AF mode, hoping that the focus will be fast enough to catch the bird. Not acceptable to me.

2. The focus points scheme is flawed. It is just about impossible to rely on a fixed position of the focus point because there are so many things that can go wrong when you have to act fast when spotting a bird. This is even worse when selecting the small focus point because it is then impossible to lock the touch-screen.

The first problem seems to be corrected on the EM-1:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympus-om-d-e-m1/7

Regarding the focus points, the OM-1 now has 81. I yet have to read info about the possibility to effectively lock one in place. Hopefully they have corrected the problem after all those complaints...

Of course, if you only use the camera with the scope, you are not concerned by these problems. After moving from my Canon 50D to the EM-5, I sold my Canon G15 compact because the Olympus was small enough for my needs. I use the EM-5 for everything, family, travel, birding, etc. Having only one camera, I feel that all the improvements of the EM-1 over the EM-5 warrant the upgrade.

Regards
Jules

One other thing: I spend a lot of time watching through the camera and scope, waiting for the right moment to take a picture. The D7000 has a very bright and clear VF, in fact, brighter that the D600 I just tried out by quite a bit. The times I looked at an E-M5 I found my eye getting tired very quickly. So I wonder how much of a strain prolonged periods of watching would tire my eye and the battery.

One other thing: I spend a lot of time watching through the camera and scope, waiting for the right moment to take a picture. The D7000 has a very bright and clear VF, in fact, brighter that the D600 I just tried out by quite a bit. The times I looked at an E-M5 I found my eye getting tired very quickly. So I wonder how much of a strain prolonged periods of watching would tire my eye and the battery.

If that's the case, I don't think EVF's cameras will suit you at all. I'm fine with evf, but surely miss the ability to look throught the scope without the camera being on to do so.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back