• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turdus lherminieri Lafresnaye, 1844 (1 Viewer)

If I look at Verzeichniss der Bücher über Naturgeschichte welche in Deutschland, Scandinavien, Holland, England, Frankreich, Italien und Spanien in den Jahren 1700-1846 erschienen sind the author is Lherminier F.J. (but I couldn't find Volume 4 of Annales de la Société Linnéenne de Lyon yet).

The version of this work published in Volume 4 of Annales de la Société Linnéenne de Lyon (1827) can be seen here.
Therein, the author is given as "M. le docteur Ferd.-J. Lherminier, Correspondant à la Guadeloupe" -- there can be no question that this was, indeed, the son, and Wikipedia is certainly wrong in this respect.

It may be worth to note that a lengthy report about this work appeared in 1827 (here), in Férussac's Bulletin to which Lesson was a regular contributor; and that Lesson himself cited it in 1828 in his Manuel d'ornithologie (here). Thus Lesson demonstrably knew about the son's work before his earliest dedication of any taxon to any L'Herminier.

Based on #21 I would as well doubt Leiocephalus herminieri Erpétologie générale:t.4 (1837) - Nouvelles suites à Buffon - Biodiversity Heritage Library (of course not a bird) was named for Félix Louis L’Herminier. But from Spécimen - Holotropis herminieri Duméril & Bibron, 1837 I must admit that I have no clue who collected on Trinidad and Tobago (not even clear for me if any L’Herminier vistited Trinidad and Tobago or if he got the specimen from someone else). All that might really require a careful palaeographical study of all the labels.

P.S. Tinité may in fact La Trinité, Martinique - Wikipedia if we read no.1 (1975) - A check-list of West Indian amphibians and reptiles - Biodiversity Heritage Library So the question is who was on Martinique? As well a slightly other theory Conservation of Caribbean Island Herpetofaunas Volume 2: Regional Accounts of the West Indies

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back