• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twitching and suppression (1 Viewer)

I don't think anyone has mentioned birders behaviour regarding following instructions etc. I found a RL Buzzard local to me and the bird news services asked people to stick to footpaths after I requested it.. The number of people trespassing to see the bird was ridiculous and most of them were stood in an area where the6 would have been very little chance of seeing it anyway. Most farmers/ landowners are fine with giving permission for individuals but aren't keen on crowds often for valid H and S reasons.

Also I'm sure a lot of people's patches involve spots that they sneak onto on occasion as often now landowners are ultra cautious of potential dangers choosing to make areas out of bounds at the drop of a hat.

Another point is not affecting birds ability to feed/ rest. We've all seen examples of ridiculous behaviour where birds have been prevented from feeding flushed far too many occasions etc. Long Eared Owls are a prime example with a lot of roosts not being reported now. Why would anyone want a photo of any bird that is obviously bothered by someone's presence.

In the first instance a rather generalised comment tarnishing all Hampshire twitchers. This well known reserve operates a deliberate policy of suppression with which most local birders are uncomfortable. Word gradually gets out through the grapevine rather than by special invitation.

Dave W
Just to give a bit of balance, the reserve in question isn’t normal in that it is privately owned with permission provided by permit only to restrict numbers to what is manageable for the reserve. Some of the family members live on the reserve and so that seems reasonable. Birders having access here is reliant on continuing goodwill with the owners, the estate would withdraw their support if they felt that they wishes weren’t being adhered to and releasing news on a 1st for the county would certainly have stretched this relationship too far in my opinion. Continuing to monitor birds here is critical given that the reserve is one of the most important sites in the county for ground nesting waders and June is a peak month. Lots of birders may disagree with this careful attitude but we have to respect it. A very small number of regular birders and wardens were aware of the Black Duck and some news did leak out. I know that the finder visits three times per week and hasn’t been birding elsewhere for more than three years.

It seems that a significant part of the problems that you have been having in the UK boils down to too much of private ownership of land.

Here's a goodie from California: A Sin To Birders Everywhere

One part is that the person writing it apparently was (as the rumour mill goes) was fairly well-involved with many secret suppression groups and outings, but not all. And so used a fake account under a fake name to cause such trouble and harass those "responsible", due to discontent at not being included in all such communication. Whether this is true or not, I don't know myself, but I have seen harassment messages under the same name.

Last edited:
It seems that a significant part of the problems that you have been having in the UK boils down to too much of private ownership of land.
Worth mentioning perhaps that in Scotland we have a legal 'Right to Roam' although there are some caveats and landowners can still make stuff up as one did to me recently by claiming that they were doing some shooting so I had to leave their entire property. Most good owners will indicate where necessary a particular section to avoid if they are shooting deer etc.

Here's a goodie from California: A Sin To Birders Everywhere

One part is that the person writing it apparently was (as the rumour mill goes) was fairly well-involved with many secret suppression groups and outings, but not all. And so used a fake account under a fake name to cause such trouble and harass those "responsible", due to discontent at not being included in all such communication. Whether this is true or not, I don't know myself, but I have seen harassment messages under the same name.
Having lived in San Diego, I can vouchsafe that, especially by ABA standards, it is a very competitive scene. For the most part, the vast majority of rarities are shared, but obviously some people get the news first, and some people have special access that others don't.

There was also historically a lot of drama over the listserve, and its management. Not sure if that drama is still even present given the state of listserves today.

On a couple of occasions I have found a couple of decent birds and passed the info onto the first people I have met to get them onto it and they were totally non plussed. Both pairs were obviously very casual birdwatchers enjoying a nice day out on a reserve and weren't bothered about what they were seeing. It just goes to show how we all enjoy the pastime differently

One thing people often forget is that those with serious lists I.e 500 plus (U.K) will invariably have a very impressive self found list that they will have put people on to. It is very interesting to look at the names on BUBO on the U.K self found section.Not only are the big listers happy to travel great distances they put a great many hours of graft in between twitches.

Apparently the pair of Kingfishers that were nesting in the riverbank near the Ossett Night Herons have abandoned their nest due to disturbance.

A shame; however was there any information out that there was a potential problem? I was considering twitching these, but haven’t (as yet), and all the information I have seen seemed to indicate it was straightforward and without problem. A statement that there was a risk to other wildlife could (perhaps) have changed people’s likelihood to twitch, or how they behaved while there.

Not been myself but saw it mentioned that people were sat with their legs dangling over the riverbank directly above the entrance to the nest no idea if they were told about the nest.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back