• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two kinds of White Headed Sparrows in the Piedmont of NC (2 Viewers)

blues

United States
From the Piedmont in NC. I'm confused about birds named "White headed sparrow" While the internet shows this bird with a black and white striped head, the bird at my feeder has a completely white head down through the nape and throat of its head. This is how Sibley pictures the white headed sparrow in his Birding Basics (p 83). As a novice I do not understand these differences. I have never seen the Sibley WHS at my feeder before this year.

I think I know what you mean by 'NC'... But for people who don't live there it's nice to have it spelt out - and the country too.
I'm not aware of any bird that, in any formal sense, is known as 'white-headed sparrow'. You may have meant white-crowned sparrow or white-throated sparrow?
If you have seen a sparrow-like bird with an entirely white head in Europe or N America, it's got some sort of aberrant plumage.

Last edited:
The Piedmont is in North Carolina.
And indeed, there is no "White-headed Sparrow", so please have a look in Sibley again and give us the correct name. That would be helpful for the answer.
The sparrows with the black-and-white striped head are White-crowned Sparrows.

Ahem. One of the Piedmonts crosses North Carolina and six other US states. The term simply means "foothill" (pied = foot, mont = mountain); the "original" Piedmont is a region of Italy.

Like the others I cannot think of a sparrow-sized bird with an all-white head that would be found in North Carolina. (Best I can do is a female white-breasted nuthatch, if seen from the front so the crown and nape are not really visible.)

Would love to know what's on page 83 of Birding Basics. Seems unlikely that Sibley would be depicting a leucistic bird.

If all you know of it is that it's a sparrowy (brown/streaky?) little thing with an entirely white head, then it's as likely (maybe more likely) to be an aberrant house sparrow as it is to be a sparrow species with 'white' in it's name. I fear you will need a photo in order to get an ID.

Exactly! This is the bird at my feeder. Thanks, Deb. I also found a mistake in an internet post that misnamed a white crown sparrow as white headed. Bird ID is hard.

This is the bird at my feeder.
It would be more accurate to say that this looks like the bird at your feeder. I'm afraid that we still don't know what species yours is, as there are several species of sparrow - American sparrows and house sparrow - with body plumage that broadly resembles this one's.

It would be more accurate to say that this looks like the bird at your feeder. I'm afraid that we still don't know what species yours is, as there are several species of sparrow - American sparrows and house sparrow - with body plumage that broadly resembles this one's.
One of my favorite books is:

The Beak of the Finch: A Story of Evolution in Our Time​

Book by Jonathan Weiner

Demonstrates how species change within 5 years to adapt to changes in the environment.

The white headed sparrow, although I know of no charcoal grey sparrow, could be an genetic adaptation to climate change. Reports of this bird seen also in Charlotte NC about 150 miles away. A nice mystery for science to solve!

Seeing one individual that's different from all the others is pretty much the opposite of demonstrating "an adaptation to" anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back