• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two swifts, yucatan , to identify (1 Viewer)

I have never actually seen a great number of Chimney Swifts so don't have an instant "feel" for their look / structure. That said, the first bird looks fine for Vaux's, certainly, and I agree the 2nd bird very likely is the same.

Chimney is certainly under-detected and under-recorded in the tropics, and probably occurs in the Yucatan much more regularly than eBird would suggest, though it is perhaps/likely still outnumbered by Vaux's even during peak migration (the last bit is just a guess on my part). However, I don't think it is expected in Mexico at all in mid-winter, birds should be in S America by then, having passed through Mexico and Central America by November at the latest.

I was recently in the Amazon in the theoretical wintering range of Chimney Swift for all of November. It was always in the back of my mind that Chimney could occur, and I generally put a lot of effort into Swift watching/ID when possible as I enjoy them quite a bit. I saw a lot of Chaetura, and a lot of well seen / definitely identifiable birds, but all the Chaetura I/we could ID were other species and none even suggested Chimney.

However, I don't think it is expected in Mexico at all in mid-winter, birds should be in S America by then, having passed through Mexico and Central America by November at the latest.
The field guides I checked said transient in Mexico and N CA until early November, so in agreement with the above
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back